Violets

Ship: Lander

Genre: Angst

Hanahaki AU

______________

"I'm sorry, but there's nothing more we can do for him."

Zander felt the color drain from his face. "What the hell do you mean, there's nothing more you can do?!" he yelled. "There's got to be something- There's got to!"

"He's right, there's got to be something you can do," Hailey insisted.

The doctor shook his head sadly. "Sorry, kid, but this is how the hanahaki disease works. He refused to get the surgery, and now he's slowly suffocating. He'll be dead by midnight."

Without another word, Zander shoved past him and ran into Luke's room.

"Zander, wait!" Hailey yelled.

"Let him go," the doctor sighed. "He deserves to see his friend again."

Hailey paused for a moment. "I need to make a phone call," she said quietly.

Hailey walked down the hallway, entered the bathroom, and locked herself in a stall. She didn't want anyone to hear the bad news besides the club. She pulled her phone out of her pocket and dialed Jake's number.

Jake picked up immediately. "Hailey! What's going on over there, is Luke alright? I have Milly, Daisy, and Sean in here with me, and you're on speaker, so try to pick your words carefully."

Hailey rolled her eyes. "Jake, I specifically told you that this was supposed to be a private conversation!"

She faintly heard Sean's voice on the other end of the call. "Take her off speaker, you can tell us after."

There was a brief pause, then Jake spoke again.

"Alright, you're not on speaker anymore. Is he okay?"

Hailey paused. What do I tell them?

She started to think about Luke. She had been firm friends with him and Zander for years, almost as long as she could remember. She remembered him first joining the club, the snowball fight they had when they were younger, and all the silly, childish adventures he had gone on with her and Zander. I'm not ready to say goodbye, I'm not ready to live without him!

Before she could stop herself, she began to cry.

She heard Jake's panicked voice on the other end. "Hailey? Hailey! Are you there?! What's going on? What happened?"

Hailey struggled to form a sentence. "He... Luke... He- he's too... too far gone!" she choked out.

"What do you mean, too far gone?!" Jake yelled.

"I mean he's dying! He has until midnight to live, and I don't know what the hell to do!" Hailey yelled back.

There was silence on the other end, before Jake hung up.

__________________

"So? What did she say?" Milly demanded.

"It's too late for him," Jake said, shaking his head.

There was silence. Painful, depressing silence of four confused and terrified people at loss for words.

Daisy was the first to speak. "I'm sorry for all of your losses," she said in a sympathetic tone. "I'll leave you alone."

Daisy left the room without another word.

"Call Zander," Sean advised. "He probably needs someone to talk to right now."