Chapter Five

Drake felt cold and lifeless in Bastien's arms as he swiftly carried him down the stairs. In the parlour below a wooden bathtub lined in a linen sheet was waiting, the water steaming. In the back of Bastien's mind he was hoping they weren't too late to revive him.

Meanwhile for Drake his own confused mind was telling him he was floating. Am I dead? Am I dreaming?

In his stupor he couldn't open his eyes, but muffled sounds filtered through to his ears. His mind tried to conjure an image, a reasonable thought of what was happening, but then it drifted away like a fog.

Then suddenly the floating feeling changed and he was falling through space, and he was powerless to break his fall. His mind reeled, his stomach roiled, and his muscles clenched painfully all at once, making him flinch.

His body was suddenly enveloped in an intense heat that pricked his skin and brought feeling rushing back into his limbs, causing Drake to let out a low groan.

Bastien stepped back after lowering Drake into the bath.

In his lethargic state, Drake slumps forward, his heavy head dropping his chin to his chest and his face splashing into the water.

Mary gasps, "Bastien, fix him before he drowns!"

Bastien cursed as he leaped forward, reaching under Drake's armpits to sit him back upright.

Tipping his head back, Bastien mutters, "Time to wake up, Son." And then gives him a hard slap on the cheek to revive him.

The impact hits Drake like a kick to the face and he gasps, coughing the water out of his throat, his eyes opening wide with surprise. Startled to find himself naked in a bathtub, he draws his knees up and grabs the walls in an attempt to get out, causing water to slosh over the sides.

Bastien shakes his head, and places a hand on his shoulder to force him to sit down again. "Now, now Drake. We can't have you running around naked with a Lady present."

Mary giggles as she holds Drake's bundle of clothes to her chest. "Oh, I don't mind at all."

Drake raises his hand to his stinging cheek, and then glares at Bastien with indignation, "You..you struck me!"

Mary sits down on the nearby sofa, "Well it was either knock you about or let you drown in your own bath, so you're welcome."

Bringing both hands up to his face, he realizes he's had a close shave. He'd lost his own razor long ago and had resolved to just let his beard grow. The newfound smoothness of his skin spoke of a practiced and steady hand, and he assumed it had been Bastien's work.

He looks back and forth between Bastien and Mary and points an accusatory finger at her as a recent memory comes rushing back, "And you..you. She bit me!"

Drake's sudden rush of anger makes his heartbeat stutter, and he brings his hand to his chest. At the same time he feels a dizzying sensation in his head, "Wha..what's happening to me?" he slurs his words as his eyes close and his body goes limp again.

Bastien levels a piercing, disapproving glare at Mary and then raises his thumb to his mouth, he mumbles around it as he bites down. "You're dying, that's what's happening."

Rushing forward to wrap his arm around Drake's chest, Bastien hauls him upright to prevent him from sinking back down into the bath water. Tipping his head back against his shoulder, Drake's jaw goes slack and Bastien lays his bleeding thumb across his lips.

"Just a taste is all we'll need to bring him back." Bastien insists.

The dark blood pools around Drake's tongue, and trickles out of the corner of his mouth. Bastien frowns at Drake's inability to swallow it, giving him a gentle shake by the shoulders, and forces his mouth shut. "Come on, now. There's plenty of my blood in your mouth, swallow damn you."