The Only Exception

This one shot is inspired by the song "The Only Exception" by Paramore. Yes this is a Hayley Williams and Awsten Knight AU. Enjoy.

//

My band, Paramore, were set to release our new album, "Brand New Eyes" in September, but something felt missing. It's obvious the majority of these songs are very angst and about a past relationship that ended very poorly.

People were already suspicious of Hayley Williams and Awsten dating, mainly because they weren't too great at hiding it online. They both love one another and have already been dating in private for the past year.

You guys were tired of hiding it and basically said fuck it one day. It didn't matter what anyone said about us because Awsten and I love one another and that's all that matters.

Paramore has never released a love song on an album. Maybe it's because I was scared and didn't want to sing about a relationship once it ended or maybe it's because everything in my past has been slipped out from under me without my consent. So, what do I really have to hide now?

I closed my laptop with a sigh after listening to the demo I was sent back for a fifth time. It's different than anything Paramore has ever released. It has a soft melody on the guitar, with soft vocals, and light drums in the back. It's quite obvious it's a love song and if it goes on the album, it'll be obvious it's about Awsten. (Fuck Chad Gilbert, he don't exist here).

I pulled out my phone and texted Awsten, "Come over." I sat on my couch with my acoustic guitar. As I was tuning it, I couldn't help, but to get lost in my thoughts. Should I play him the song on guitar? What if I mess up? What if Awsten doesn't like it? What if he thinks it's too cheesy? Should I just play him the demo?

A knock on my door pulled me out of my thoughts. I took a deep breath as I opened the door and mustered up my best fake smile, to hide my nerves. "Hi."

"Hey, are you okay?" Awsten asked me concerned. I pulled him into a hug and buried my face in his chest. "Mhm. I am now." He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my head. He held me in his arms for a minute until I broke the silence. 

"I wrote you a song." I blurted, instantly feeling my face heat up as Awsten pulled back from the hug to look at me.

"You wrote me a song?" Awsten repeated softly. I nodded avoiding eye contact. He lifted my chin gently, making me look at him. "No one's wrote me a song before, usually I'm the one writing them for people." He chuckled softly. "C-can I hear it?"

"Yeah." I whispered before speaking normally. "Um, I actually was planning on playing it for you." I took his hand and led him to my living room. My heart was pounding as I watched him sit on the couch.

He smiled at me reassuringly as I sat on the other couch. "So, um, this isn't much, but this song is called "The Only Exception" and it's for you." I grabbed my guitar before taking a deep breath.

I started strumming softly and began singing.
"When I was younger I saw my daddy cry and curse at the wind. He broke his own heart and I watched as he tried to reassemble it.

And my momma swore that she would never let herself forget. And that was the day that I promised I'd never sing of love if it does not exist, but darlin'.

You are, the only exception
You are, the only exception."

Awsten was staring at you in complete awe. He was quite certain he's never heard a song so beautiful and the fact that it's about him made his heart do flips.

I didn't make eye contact with Awsten as I performed as I felt super vulnerable in this moment.

"And I'm on my way to believing." I finished singing as I looked over to him.

I smiled nervously. "What'd you think?" Awsten stood up and walked over to you. He cupped your face in his hands and kissed you. "That was beautiful. You're beautiful. Thank you." I wiped a tear that slipped from his left eye.

"Why are you crying?" I frowned. He grabbed my hand and kissed it. "They're happy tears, I promise." I set my guitar aside and stood up to hug him properly. Awsten easily accepted the hug and nuzzled his face into my hair.

Awsten slowly stroked my hair as he mumbled, "That was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. Fuck, I love you."

//
Short and cheesy blah blah blah