Ever After Blip

Jimmy cringed to himself as he walked out of the house, but quickly controlled his face. What just happened??

"I'll be seeing you again," he said with a wink, then turned to walk out.

"Where?" The ex-con responded, an innocent look on his face.

"What?"

"Where will you be seeing me again? Like, are you inviting me somewhere, or, or...?"

Jimmy got a little flustered, and stuttered, "Why— why would I be inviting you somewhere? I meant like, in general, if you do something bad I'll be there to arrest you."

Scott's eyebrows raised up as he said, "Right, right."

Jimmy started to make his way out the door again, but turned yet again and, with something twisting slightly in his gut, said, "I mean, when I'm free... Did you want to grab dinner or something?"

But Scott only shook his head with an amused frown, and Jimmy retreated.

The exchange only got more awkward the more Jimmy thought about it. Did he just ask out a man?

But I'm a youth pastor! He thought to himself. And besides... I'm an agent and he's an ex-con!

He thought about it all the way back to the office building where he'd be filling out the last of the paperwork surrounding Scott's case. Jimmy frowned slightly to himself as he reported that Scott had spent the whole time in his home. He knew he had slipped those last two days, he knew it! And yet...

Scott has a kid who he loved, and he was generally a nice, funny guy, and dang it, Jimmy was getting fond of him. He went ahead and gave a good report, hoping he wouldn't regret it.

He tried to put it out of his mind for the next week, and he was largely successful. He would, however, sometimes catch himself smiling at the thought of Scott and Cassie, and he always kept trying to learn card tricks.

One of the few days he had off of work, he was eating a sandwich when it happened. His stomach twisted, a very unpleasant feeling. He looked inside his sandwich to see if he had eaten anything bad accidentally, a worried look on his face.

An hour later, he got a call from work.

"Hello?"

"Agent Woo." It was a voice he didn't recognize.

"Yes...?"

"Good, we needed to be sure. I'm Agent Smith, by the way. We need you in, immediately."

"On my way."

Jimmy rushed to put his suit on and went as fast as he could without breaking the speed limit.

When he arrived, he and others were herded into a meeting room.

Then, someone stepped up to the front.

"I'm sure you all have a lot of questions," she began, "so here's what we know so far. The Avengers have been active again, doing who-knows-what, and suddenly, an hour ago, a lot of people just disappeared. The people in this room are the only ones left of this department."

There were mutters throughout the room. Disappeared? How could that happen? How many people? Who, why them? You mean we're all alone now?

The woman at the front held up a hand, and everyone shushed. "Now that everyone is on the same page, we'd welcome any useful ideas."

* * *

Jimmy was finally able to plop on the couch. He tried to relax, but a billion thoughts were buzzing through his brain. He had already called his parents, the church, he dealt with filing as many missing cases as he could... who was left?