Chapter 4:

Calli

A few weeks have passed and I  began to get used to the beatings. They didn't hurt anymore. I looked at the bruises on my face in the bathroom mirror. I remember the first time I saw them and I cried, but now I don't care. It's like an everyday thing, and they became a part of me.
"Calli lets go!" Jimmie yelled.
"Beating #3" I said to myself. I walked to Jimmie and stood confidently.
"You've grown a lot Calli. Let's test it." Jimmie raised his fist and punched my lip. I wiped the blood off and continued to stand. No flinching, no fear, no pain. Jimmie clapped.
"Now that's what I want to see. The fact that you had no fear showed that you felt no pain and that was my goal. But can you stand the pain of a weapon" Jimmie held out a knife and cut my chest diagonally. From my right shoulder to over my right breast, but between both of them. I did not feel the pain, but because I had no clue of how a weapon would feel, I got scared.
"Did it hurt?" Jimmie asked. I shook my head no.
"Good, someone clean her up" Sierra and Munro came to me. Munro laid me down on the floor, while Sierra pressed a cloth on the wound to stop the bleeding. 
"It's not that deep that she needs stitches, but deep enough that it'll leave a scar" Sierra told Michael.
"Good, just like all of us. Don't worry Calli. We've been through everything you're going through" Michael said.
"We all have scars. Mine is noticeable." said Derric as he pointed to it under his eye. "Mine is on my right thigh" Sierra said as she pulled her pants down enough to reveal her scar. "Mine is from my elbow to my wrist on my right arm" Michael said. Munro was the only who did not show his. Munro was quiet and to himself. He did what he needed to and locked himself in his room. After I was ok and patched up Munro did what everyone expected. He left without saying a word.
"What's wrong with him?" I asked. "He's been through a lot" Sierra said. "Haven't we all?"
"He's one of those people who has it 20x worse. One thing to remember Calli is that you are brainwashed to not care or feel. You can and its in you, don't be scared to let it out sometimes. Don't let Jimmie know or you'll have to go through that process again." Sierra walked out of the room. I found it hard to trust her but these types of moments make me feel like I can. What do she mean that I'm brainwashed. I don't care about anything, I didn't feel anything Jimmie tried to hurt me with. I shook her words out of my head and sat in the living room, watching tv and the news popped on.
"Breaking News! A young girl had been reported missing for a month now, please contact police if she is found. Her name is Calli Cowan, 17. Her parents are desperate to find her." The Anchorman said. I saw my picture on TV. It was my recent school picture. I was happy. The reporter was at my house and talking to my parents.
"Ms.Cowan can you explain what happened the day your daughter was missing?"
"Yes, I was on my way to the hospital and my husband told her to drive behind the ambulance. When we got to the hospital she never came, when we got home the car was right where we left it." My mom cried as she told her story. I noticed that she was healthy and her baby bump shined bright. I missed her so much. Tears streamed down my face and I just stared at the tv and thought of that Christmas morning before I ended here.