Chapter 1 (Turkey's POV)

The second day of high school was not exactly off to a good start. Mainly because Turkey had fallen asleep on the bus, when she was SUPPOSED to be doing her homework.

When she was heading home from school, on the very first day of the year, she had laid out a plan for her homework. The country would start it fifteen minutes after she got back, and she wouldn't take any long breaks until it was done.

Well, fifteen minutes turned into half a hour, then one hour, then two... and so on.

And before Turkey knew it, she was laying in bed at one in the morning, wondering where all her willpower went.

She didn't actually get to sleep until about two, which gave her... about four hours of sleep.

That's great.

But at least there wasn't much homework. She could definitely do it on the bus in the half-hour ride.

But, as soon as Turkey got onto the bus, she flopped down in an empty row... and promptly went to sleep.

It figures: the one time she didn't want to sleep on a bus, she starts snoring within thirty seconds.

And after what only seemed like a minute or two, Turkey was being shaken awake by a hand on my shoulder.

She sat up slowly, eyes half-closed as she tried to figure out what was going on, where she was, and who had woken her up.

The bus had arrived at school, apparently. And as for the country? It was... Greece. The only thing Turkey knew about her was that she seemed like kind of a nerd.

A smile came to her face when she saw Turkey awake, and it just as quickly disappeared when she saw the dark circles under the red country's eyes. Concerned for her? That was strange... it's not like they were friends or anything.

"Hey..." Greece asked, a slight undertone of worry audible in her voice. "You okay?"

"Mmh? Yeah, I'm fine... it's nothing..."

Greece didn't seem convinced, raising an eyebrow instead. "Whatever you say. Now come on, get up! You don't want the bus to leave with you!" she squeaked in a painfully chipper voice.

And with that, she scurried off the bus, leaving Turkey to groggily collect her stuff, painfully aware of the untouched homework in her bag.

Yeah, really not a good start.