03

It was late, and the shadows crept out from under my bed, the darkness hugging me like a blanket. We had had our dinner in someone else's rooms, who I vaguely knew but didn't really. The food was nice, and we came back full. We shot Akame (the rampaging roommate), with another elephant dart so we could sleep safely without the risk of her killing us, and I could hear her snoring through my sound proofed walls, which I put in so I wouldn't have to hear it. It didn't work. I could hear bits and pieces of floors and walls still crumbling, and... I could hear someone tip-toing over the glass and mug shards. I leapt out of bed, already knowing who it was.

"You really shouldn't be sneaking out at this time of night, ya know?" I droned sarcastically.

"Again? Do you ever sleep?" Marlene hissed back at me.

"You don't have to do what they want, you know? They -"

"They are just turning me into a superweapon, and they are using me for their own foul deeds that they are too cowardly to do themselves so they get kids to do it for them? Yeah, I know, you've told me multiple times before," she cut me off. "You never shut up about it."

"They are turning you into a -" I began.

"Shut your mouth. I am not a murderer!" she cut me off again, her voice raising.

"Are you sure? You are murdering innocent people, families that have done nothing wrong! And you just say they are evil and think that that clears your conscience. Are you honestly so STUPID that you have decieved yourself into thinking that it's ok to do this?" I was shouting now. She started to speak, but I cut her off. "And before you say I don't know anything about what I'm saying, I HAVE been on the other side of one of those missions! I watched my parents get murdered in front of my eyes by people like you. They sent kids night after night, and my parents and their guards killed them over and over, until one night they sent almost 100 of them. About halfway through the guards were killed. Then about ¾ of the way through, the kids broke through the door and killed my father, and then my mother. They went down fighting, to save me. I killed the ones that killed my parents, in vengeance, and then as more and more came through I just started mercilessly killing. I had no control over my power, that I never wanted by the way, and in minutes I had killed all that were left. Apart from one. He didn't try to attack me though. He just talked to me, and calmed me down. I just sat there crying afterwards, and he hugged me and said everything was going to be alright. Then an official came to see why no one had come back yet, and the lone survivor told him what happened. Then I was taken here, where I was trained up, and I am treated with fear by teachers and officials, and I have one of the best quarters in the entire facility. They keep asking me to go on missions but I refuse. That is why I don't use my powers, as much as I can. And the worst thing is, loads of people who go through the murder of their parents get picked up to fight, which they do, and the ones that don't show any promise are taken care of. In other words they are either killed in the attack, killed during interrogation, or they survive as the perfect weapon." Marlene looked like she was half the size, seeming to have shrunk.

"I'm sorry, but I have to go" she murmured, before quickly scuttling off, wearing the darkness like a cloak. 

Well that turned quickly! Tell me what you think so far in the comments! Did you see a tragic backstory coming? Also tell me what you think of my story. Good so far? Or does is need work? This is my first story on Wattpad, so... don't hold back on critique! I want to know how to improve. Thanks, my Darling Readers! 

Dan_Darling