let the games begin

Cafeteria:

Gymnastics gym:

Gymnastics gym:

October 10th- week 6 of school

Three weeks had passed and everything seemed to be ok for once. But the rest of the school was on edge, "six weeks in and we haven't had a single challenge?!" "I heard they had a secret challenge in the upper grades last week." "Maybe we will have one tonight." Everyone was uneasy, rumblings and rumors were going all about the school. Mrs. Zon has yet to deny any of them; personally I think she isn't denying them so there is more tension.

The past few weeks have been all the same, it actually started getting boring which I don't mind considering how much we all went through. I haven't talked to my mom much, other than to let her know I was alive and passing all my classes every week. As for Ethan, we talk but it's not the same as before honestly I don't know if we can ever go back. Thomas and I were doing great, I think for the first time I might actually be falling in love. Like real love, is that insane? I know I've only known his for like a month but my feelings are so strong and I've never been happier. Anyways, gymnastics has started up too practice is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and games are always Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon.

"Alyea over here!" Thomas yelled a bit too loudly in the caff at lunch. We sit with each other everyday and talk about our mornings, it was beginning to be my favorite part of the day and sometimes we would go to the garden to eat. "Hey whats up" we started to talk and do our usual routine but something unusual happened. "Look behind you." Thomas said as I saw his eyes watch someone walk in. I turn around and I see Mrs. Zon walking up to the podium. "Good afternoon students and faculty. I sincerely regret to inform you that all your afternoon classes have been cancelled and you all must finish your lunches and head straight for your dorm rooms. Please do not come out unless instructed, there is no reason to panic and your parents have been informed. On your way out of the cafeteria please place your phones in the bins your teachers are holding. If you do not it is detention for a week." There were gasps and murmurs all over, suddenly the hushed whispers turned into a full roar. "SCIENCE!" Mrs. Zon said to get control of the school."Your dinners will be delivered to you today. Please inspect your trays upon its arrival. Now on that note everyone quietly make your way to your rooms." Everyone stood up at once and didn't dare to utter a single word because Mrs. Zon had yelled and that has never happened before so there must be something seriously wrong.

"Alyea thank God you had me worried." I walked in and Ethan said this to me to my surprise. "What why?" "Because of that whole speech, are you not worried?" he said intrigued by my response. "Oh right, no I'm worried its probably just some random procedure-" my eye caught a shinning gold trimming on a note card hidden under a book I had never seen before. "What? whats wrong?" Ethan said worried again. I quickly walked over to the book. "Is this yours?" I said picking it up and examining it. "No." Ethan said confused. "The Fine Art of Problem Solving" I read the name of the book aloud. "Alyea we have more pressing maters than some random book house keeping probably left here on accident." I picked up the book to reveal the note card with gold edges that made it look very elegant. "Wait there's a note" I began to read it aloud,

"To whom it may concern, the fire still burns, both fighters soar high, but is the problem in the sky? higher and higher they go, fighting each other with every blow, but the fire still burns, and everyone still hurts."-Emaus 138

"So house keeping is into poetry? So what Alyea we can return it later but are you still not concerned that they are trapping us in our room and not telling us why." Ethan said more angry now that I was ignoring him. "Ethan don't you get it? They didn't leave this here on accident this is our first challenge!" "Alyea you might be thinking to deep into this..." "I'm not listen to the poem, "both fighters soar high" symbolizes the two wings and "the fire still burns" symbolizes the ever-longing fight between the two." I said trying to get him to understand. "I don't know Alyea." he said still skeptical. But something about all of this still needed one last thing to connect it. "THE BOOK" I rushed over and read the authors name, "William Z. Emaus, EMAUS 138!" I quickly turned to the page and the quote started the beginning of that chapter, so I began to read the page, "The fight ignites passion for the game. The build up to the game can be more passionate then the actual game if the players can understand it. But the conductor knows more than all the players, the players just need to be humble enough to ask the first question." I finished reading the first few lines were all I needed. "I understand now." Ethan stood looking at me still confused. At that moment I knew he would be no use to me. "I have to go see Mrs. Zon right now." "LEY she told you, she told all of us to stay in place until told we can leave." Ethan said genuinely concerned. "This is her telling me Ethan trust me. If I'm wrong I'll take any punishment but I need you to stay here in case I am wrong. Please just trust me this one time, I know." He finally believed me. "Ok fine but you better be right." I knew I was so I didn't hesitate and went right down, quietly.