Chapter 7 - Luna

Night rolled around and Ezra woke up fully as the light from the window dimmed

Night rolled around and Ezra woke up fully as the light from the window dimmed. That unfortunately meant that the masters returned, and Luna edged into Ezra instead of away from him. One of the masters chuckled, and she hated him but refused to give him any satisfaction of fearing him. She instead stared up into his ice blue eyes and imagined running her lunar magic through his brain. After all, moonlight was her calling and this was her hour as much as theirs.

"Getting acquainted with your new cellmate?" the piece of shit said, and she declined to speak. There was no point. She wasn't a person to them, just a grand mage or a vessel for their sick desires.

"Antagonizing her is counterproductive," Ezra said to the man, and the master narrowed his eyes. "I need her calm for the best odds of a successful attempt, and you getting her blood boiling won't lead to that."

The master scoffed but snapped his fingers and two slaves, both human, scurried over and exchanged the food and water in the cell. They were gone before she could even utter a word in thanks, their heads down and their eyes empty as they came and went. With one last lingering look, the master cut into her with his blue eyes and then left. The other master had stood behind him in silence, and she'd barely gotten a good look at him from beyond his shoulders and halfway around the corner. Only the brush of pitch fluttered though the wind, contrasting with the white of the other as they departed.

"Thank you," Luna said to Ezra when he was gone.

"I merely stated the truth," Ezra said, and she sighed against him. "Please eat. I will be required to drink your blood prior to or during our activities tomorrow night, and you need to regain your strength."

A shiver ran down her back, but she pulled the platter of food over and blew on some soup. As she ate a spoonful, she looked at Ezra where he was leaning against the wall, seemingly pretending he wasn't staring at her out of the corner of his teal eyes.

"It's fine if you want to look at me," Luna said after a spoonful, and he shifted uncomfortably but sat up straight and turned his face toward her.

"It's... nice having you close," Ezra said after she'd gone through a few more spoonfuls, and she looked to her thigh that just touched his with how she was sitting cross legged to eat. She'd gotten closer to keep from the masters and had yet to move back.

"You said tomorrow night," Luna said, and he nodded but said nothing for a few moments.

"I'm sorry," Ezra responded with melancholy after the air had grown too heavy. "I cannot hide when you are fertile from the masters, as their senses are the same as mine. Humans go through a period of a little less than a week where they can conceive, and it will be expected that you lie with me each night until you are with child or the period ends."

Luna lowered her soup. It wasn't like she hadn't known how getting pregnant worked as far as having sex more than once in a fertile period, but she doubted that she was going to be able to do it once let alone each night. Ezra was nice, but he wasn't Torin, and she wasn't exactly the friendliest person to mages, let alone vampires.