Cordell?

I felt it.... I felt the bed dip.

My heart almost seized in my chest and my breathing seemed to stop. My once closed eyes were wide open now, I was deadlocked in fear. There was an intruder in my house. Invading my bed that I had shared with my late husband. Laying in his spot.

I was enraged but too wracked with fear to react. What if he had a gun? Did I forget to lock the door? No.... I know the door was locked. I haven't left the house since the funeral. I stayed in the confines of my room this whole time, only getting up for food, bathroom, and showers.

My window! He must have climbed in through my bedroom window while I left the room. That's it! The lowlife was also the one probably calling my name all through the night. How did he know my name?

Duh! The newspaper! My husband's obituary was in there. My name was listed as his husband. He probably had this place scoped out. He was driving around looking for the white floral wreath on my front door that funeral homes post to indicate a loved one has passed.

Maybe it was someone who attended the funeral. Someone who was supposed to be a friend of mine or my husband. People are so fake and opportunistic! To play mind games on a grieving widower and break into their house. My mother used to tell me that you learn who your real friends are through tragedy.

"Its so thoughtless and inconsiderate of you. Breaking into my home, pretending to know me.... You're sick....and dumb."

"Aaron baby... It's ME..." The voice said breathlessly. "I know you missed me baby.... I'm sorry I left you.... But I'm back now.... I'm home baby."

That was the last straw! It was one thing to break in but trying to imitate his voice and pretend to be him is going too far. I suddenly remembered what I had in the closet. That hand gun that belonged to my husband was stashed away in a shoebox. He taught me how to use it, but I never imagined that I would actually HAVE to. Well.... Until now.

"Lay your ass right there! I got a treat for you.... Baby☺"

I rose up from the bed and made my way to the closet. The closet in question was on my husband's side of the bed. It was weird that the intruder remained on the bed, I felt his eyes following my every move.

Damn! He really is stupid! I thought to myself. Who really gone sit back and chill when they see someone go for their gun? A damn fool that needs Jesus.

"While... you're in there.... Please get the wedding gift I gave you. The one from April 17th 2013.." The man said between ragged breaths.

I paused. I knew what he was talking about, but how did HE know that? Fucking stalker.

I saw the crystal figurines I only put out during the holidays. I remember wanting them for months before my husband gave them to me for my wedding gift. Instead I reached in the shoe box and

"We're you really .....going to shoot....me Aaron?" He whispered in my ear. How did he get to me so quickly? So quietly? How did he get his ice cold hands around my waist?

"I will shoot..." I warned, trying my damn best to hide to the fear in my voice.

I felt his lips, cold as Arctic ice, brush against the back of my neck. The same way Cordell would do to me when he wanted physical love. The stranger's breathing was labored, yet I felt no air leaving his body.

"Aaron baby.... It's me... You love me..."

I don't know you

"I love you... I always have.... Loved you..."

"I love one man...One man only. YOU'RE NOT HIM!"

In one smooth spin, I had the gun cocked and pressed against his temple. The moonlight only provided a silhouette of the intruder. The intruder that smelled of white tea lillies?

"Aaron...baby put the gun down" the figure said in a regular voice.

I know that voice...

But it can't be him... I saw him... In his ebony box. The same one that disappeared into the earth two weeks ago. It can't be him. It can't be my husband.

"You're trembling Aaron..." He said as he wrapped his hands around the barrel and pulled it down, "I told you about being nervous baby. If you have to shoot, don't think about it."

Words of my husband

But it still didn't convince me

"I don't know who you are or how you pulled that trick with your voice, but you're sick!" I said with tremble in my voice "Get out of my house!"

"Aaron... Baby you know me. Turn on the light..."

"Fuck you!!"

"We have.... I loved it... I'm sure you loved it too... You married me."

"You're not my husband.... You're NOT Cordell!" I screamed and shoved the intruder away with all of my strength

He didn't even budge

"Aaron turn on the light! See ME!"