03 WAS THAT MEANT TO BE FUNNY?

Every creak, every bump, and every thud that came pounding like a warm migraine on a summer's sunny afternoon felt almost amplified from a microphone speaker in an empty field. The night carries it's tune hollowly, croaking and creaking like uneven wooden floorboards; mimicking light footsteps threading over like a ghost.

Only under the moonlight's influence would these calmly spectres play pretend, hiding buttons and coins into curved cabinets, and running away like they did not intend to cause mischief. Silent ghosts roam around under the pale, pallid moonlight, and they grasped this opportunity with cold bruised knuckles.

That did not cease her fear of catching something (or someone) crawling in the dark with sunken cheeks, sullen eyes and silly smiles. The world is infested with shadows of people that are so consumed by grief and trauma, they forget their main purpose as a person.

People are not bred and born to be liars, but that expectation has been crossed and removed from the checklist. People are not born and bred to be creeps that climb into houses and disrupt the calm harmony of their detrimental lives, but that's been crossed and removed from the checklist as well.

The fluorescent lights hung on the porch flickered, Aneika's breath stuttered in her throat. Her palms felt itchy, she almost felt like pressing her palms against the cold smooth glass to get a closer look at the flickering lights.

Behind the small green tree decorated with green and red christmas lights, there was a silent hum that stared back at her the more she looked at it. Eyes red, glossy and glazed over stared right back at her in the calm, dark night.

The eyes were peeling off each and every layer of her body, starting from the skin right down to the cartilages of her bones. They were the most intrusive pair that she has ever seen, the most brilliant pair that she would never ever forget.

Her knees sunk to the ground as quicksand pulled her back to the earth's core. "What are you doing?" A soft voice asked from behind her, snapping the frightened girl out of her punishing thoughts.

The little girl looked positively out of it, her hands tiredly fisted at her eyes as her body shivers underneath a long blanket hanging around her shoulders. Aiko walked forwards, just enough so that her head could lean in between the crook of Aneika's neck.

The older girl smiled complacently, "Go back to bed, kid."

——————

Aneika doesn't know where to go. Her legs are like two walking centipedes crawling away from each other out of repulse, but instead, they were both running towards the same direction. She's got her hands trailing along the walls as she walks along the hallways, calmly tracing the soft plaster underneath her fingernails.

Spring has always been a darling to her, and she would normally sit calmly outside with her legs kissing the freshly trimmed grass. The area was a calm, desolate field, just a little behind the school compound, hidden behind a large tree guarding it.

And she wishes, she wishes so desperately, to go outside and kiss the sun with her lips. But spring is not only kind to just her, spring creates a haven for everyone; it was selfish of her to think that spring created happiness for her and her only.

Students were crawling everywhere, like tiny spiders jumping and wiggling around in a dark nest hidden inside an abandoned closet drawer. The area hidden behind her favourite tree was no longer an area desolate just for her, it was now a confession spot, perfect for the calm chaos of spring.