One

THE DIARY

The detective pulled out an evidence locker labeled "You: Real Life," the media has it's ways with getting creative with these kinds of cases. The detective sighs, dreading having to read this diary account again. It has to be done though, and he knows that. Afterall, he'll be seeing the girl herself tomorrow at the trial and has to make sure everything is in order, especially their most valuable piece of evidence.

***

February 28th, 2019

He held her hand, pulled her in close. She giggled at something he said. It was the perfect day. They've been together for a year almost to the minute. It's crazy how much can change - how much someone can change. "Love is in the air" is something one might say if they saw these two together. Everything seemed so natural, they had been friends all throughout High School and College, their connection was only natural.

It's almost sickening.

Nevertheless, even I must admit they're... decent together. I wonder what he's saying to her? Does she mean her reaction? Or maybe she's been pretending all along. I'm not one to pass judgement, only God can do that. However, who's going to keep everyone in check? Who will correct the wrongs of others? God is up there, he can only do so much.

They're standing up, the sun has already set. He leans in close. My eyes widen. To my disappointment she responds positively, leaning in just as close. I have to go. She's so stupid. He's so stupid. Everyone in this world is just too naive and idiotic. If they knew what I knew, saw what I have seen, then, finally, they'll understand. But they won't, not yet anyway, so I must wait. I can only push them so far.

I crawl away, careful as to not be spotted. I wait yet another day.

March 1st, 2019

I was following them to their normal morning restaurant, Starbucks, it may seem basic but trust me that's the only thing about them that seems like that. This time, I stood behind them. I had never been this close to them before, out of fear of them somehow recognizing me. And they did look at me, made a face of "I've seen you somewhere" then turned around when our eyes met.

Their eyes.

Their eyes were like pools of honey because the light hit them just so. I don't think I will ever see eyes like that again.

I won't let those eyes go.

March 5th, 2019

They were together again. Their usual spot. Him and Her. Her and Him.

How much longer? I keep thinking that over and over. How much longer? How much longer? How much longer? The words lost their meaning after time. I didn't know the answer. The answer seemed as if, if discovered, the whole world would stop and everything would cease.

Again, they leaned in, I can't take it much longer.

March 7th, 2019

They sat at their desk, files around them, working on their computer. I followed their movements as they pushed their hair back from their face. They were frustrated, you can tell by the way they furrowed their eyebrows and bit their lip. I observed their desk space from where I was mopping.

Skyler Green.

A perfect name, a beautiful name.

Skyler Green.