Chapter 1

“Girl, we have to look amazing,” Monica Williams said, as we exited the school building and made our way to the parking lot. “This ain’t no ‘dress from the mall’ kinda party,” she said, crooking her fingers. “This is a straight up, ‘spend five hundred dollars on a dress’ kinda party.” She eyed me with unsparing chestnut eyes. “And you are coming whether you like it or not.” She linked my arm as we cut our way through the parking lot. “Whether you want to or not,” she continued, “whether you feel like or not.”

I shuffled alongside her dully. “Monica, the party is three whole weeks away.”

“You mean two weeks and a few days.”

“Oh, pardon me,” I said, snorting my indifference, “but don’t you think we should start thinking about what to wear closer to the time?”

Monica looked incredulous. “Lexi, this will be our last high school Christmas dance!”

And…? I asked silently. The girl seriously needed to get a grip. “I just think that spending hundreds of dollars on a dress for a pathetic Christmas dance is crazy.”

“Okay, we won’t spend hundreds, I promise. I guess hundreds is for the prom.”

“Monica, at this rate, I won’t have any money left to go to college.”

“Stop being so dramatic,” Monica huffed, unlinking her arm from mine and sauntering toward her Lexus.

I couldn’t believe the school drama queen was accusing me of being dramatic. I moved toward my own car, a miserable looking Chevy that was mainly hidden by Monica’s Lexus. I always parked behind Monica, partly hoping that she’d one day reverse too far back and put me out of my misery. My car would be totaled, and Monica’s insurance would pay out for new one.

Monica gave me a weird look. “What are you smiling about?”

“Nothin’.”

“Are you coming to the game on Thursday, by the way?” she asked unlocking her car. “There’s an after party in the gym.”

“What if we don’t win?”

“We’re playing Los Lions. We’ll win.”

I pretended to consider it although my mind was already firmly made up that I wasn’t going. “I’m not sure. Probably not though.”

Monica glared at me. “Why do you never want to hang out or party, Lexi? You didn’t even come to the Thanksgiving dinner. You’re so miserable.”

“I already have plans for Thursday.”

Monica waved a manicured hand dismissively. “Save it, Lexi. Watching old soap opera re-runs and snacking on potato chips are not ‘plans’.”

Actually I had a fashion show, but I hadn’t told Monica that I was signed yet. I also had a fashion show the night of the Christmas dance. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do.

Monica dumped her purse into her trunk and slammed it shut. “Besides, it’ll be bad for your diet,” she continued. “Whereas dancing all night with me at the after party, while looking hot, and being the center of attention and the desire of every guy in this skanky school is bound to make you lose at least a couple of pounds.”

“What makes you think I’m on a diet?” I pulled a sugar loaded cereal bar out of my purse to prove my point, and Monica slapped my hand like I was a naughty child. The cereal bar fell to the ground. “Hey!” I protested.

Monica swung her bunch of keys round her index finger unremorsefully. “That’s like the worst brand. I told you to get the ‘Lo to Go.’ They’re sugar free.”