Nil Homini Certum Est

Nothing is certain for man

HANNAH

Today, Selene will be teaching me how to cook sinigang. Isinama n'ya ako sa condo unit n'ya para dito kami magluto. Her place is neat and cozy. And her dogs are so cute! 

"Thank you, Selene," I said with all sincerity as we finished cooking and tidying up her kitchen. 

I am thanking her not only for teaching me how to cook. I am thanking her not only for today. I am in deep gratitude to her for stepping in my life and for pulling me out of my misery. 

Selene was the one who took my hand and lead me out of the shadows. She's the one who gave me hope and courage to step up for myself. If not for her, I am still hiding myself, feeling sorry, and sulking for the things I could never get back. 

She's the one who made me realize that's it's alright to make mistakes, but to let those failures rule and define me is ridiculous. What happened to me years ago is not my fault. Nagkamali ako pero biktima lang ako. Pero ang patuloy na hayaan ang pagkakamali na iyon na pigilin ako sa buhay... to let that downfall rule my life and affect my actions and way of thinking... iyon na ang kasalanan ko. 

Selene opened my eyes. She made me realized how wrong I've been living my life. She encouraged me to open my doors and to step out. If not for her, I'm still missing these chances in life. 

Little by little, I am living again. Little by little, I am happy again. 

All thanks to this wonderful person. She may be rough around the edges, but she passionate and kind. She's thoughtful and considerate. She's bold and brave, yet sensitive and compassionate. 

"You're welcome," Selene smirked at me. "You can stay on the living room while I feed the dogs."

I nodded then made my way to her living room. Her unit was full of pastel pink, light wood and white. This is so feminine and warm and soft. There are plants everywhere which made it feels relaxing. Marami ring artworks na naka-display sa mga dingding, cabinets, shelves, at tables. 

Inilibot ko ang paningin ko sa mga farmed photos na naka-display. A family portrait caught my attention. My eyes widened upon recognizing faces on it. 

I felt like being slapped hard in the face. 

"Selene," I called in a serious tone. I don't know what to feel. 

"Yes?" Selene approached me with a smile. When I remained serious, she turned her head on the photo I was looking at. 

"You knew Skipper Vergara?" I can't help the shaking of my voice. Seeing the devil's face was enough to shake the world I am trying hard to rebuild. 

I bowed my head as tears started to blur my vision. 

I heard Selene's sigh. She sat down on a couch across me. "Yeah. He's my cousin's husband," she said said after clearing her throat. "I know Trey and Marron too. Trey is my cousin," she deadpanned. 

My tears started pouring down. I feel so embarrassed. 

Being related with those people, she must know everything about me. About my shameful past, and how I got stuck in a mental institute. 

"I know you, but I don't care about your past." Selene gave me a warm and understanding smile. "We all do something we aren't proud of. I have shares of my walk of shame."

I stared at Selene for a long while. Her face looks gentle and understanding. I know she's genuine. I know I shouldn't judge her just because she knows people I hate. She's not them.