Chapter 15 (+ Author's Note)

Delicate specks of frost whirled around in the chilly October air. Which went unnoticed to both Khrys and Marshall as they were walking hand in hand around Detroit in large hoodies.

After Khrys' breakdown, Marshall offered to take her on a walk to help clear her mind. Khrys being herself, tried to bring up every reason why it'd be a bad idea for them to walk right out into public view. But of course, Marshall had a solution. He gathered two hefty coverups out of his closet for them to conceal themselves with. So she finally agreed and slid on some boots before joining him.

Little did she know that for most of the walk, Marshall had been smiling down at her tenderly. He took in her petite stature and marveled at the way her small hand fit in his. He lived for moments like this, when he could be content and unbothered. He didn't get much time to himself nowadays, everyone always wanted something out of him whether it be work wise or for their own personal agenda. With Khrys, he never had to deal with that nor did she ask for much anyway.

Marshall wanted to soak in all the time he could get with Khrys, before jetting off all over the globe. He began to turn his head as he saw her looking up. As he peered at her from his peripheral, he pretended to just notice her looking. She had a look on her face that he wasn't able to decipher, all he knew was that it was intense.

"What?" He asked when they made eye contact.

She didn't say anything, just simply shook her head and looked back down.

This wasn't unusual for her. However, he wanted to know what she was thinking about. She had been quiet for the entirety of their outing and every whip of cool air that penetrated his eardrums was killing him slowly. He wanted to her hear say something, anything. Rather than waiting for her to speak up, he decided that letting her know he was open to listening was the best way to go.

"Hey."

"Hm?" Khrys hummed in response, watching her warm breath create a puff out in the air.

"What's goin' on in that worrisome mind of yours?"

"A lot."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Not really."

Marshall let out a soft, barely audible huff. He hated being left in the dark about things. Especially when said things are affecting people he cared about.

Of course, everything was still fresh on her mind. He understood that but, it didn't hurt less knowing that she was shutting him out instead of opening up. He was known to do the same thing, so it constantly became an internal conflict when he decided to complain about someone else treating him the same way.

"I just," she started, taking a deep breath.

Marshall's head jolted towards her when he heard her begin to speak.

"I wanna feel like I'm not the crazy one here."

She stopped abruptly and turned to look towards the street. Her shoulders were jittering, he could tell she was hyperventilating a bit but, decided it was best to just let her feel this.

"You're not crazy. You know that and I know that."

Khrys knew he was trying to reassure her but her mind told her to contravene his statement.

"Do you Em? Do you really?" She snapped as she turned to face him. She immediately felt bad when she watched his shoulders droop as his face fell.