Chapter 4 - In the (Friend) Zone

A week had passed since the disastrous open mic night. Fortunately for Beth, Vika kept her busy with details for the Welcome Home/Christmas party that would be held on Christmas Eve.

Vika tasked her with the interior decor. She ensured her that whatever she and the decorator planned would be lovely. She scheduled a meeting for Beth to meet with her interior designer, Chelsea and she would be arriving soon.

The housekeeper led a petite blond girl into the sitting room where Beth was waiting. "Babe! Hello! I'm Chelsea Paxton, Mrs. Njoku's designer!"

Beth started to hold out her hand for a shake, but Chelsea quickly embraced her in a hug. Beth was startled, before she could react Chelsea released her.

"Mrs. Njoku told me that we would be working together to get the house ready for the party and I have so many ideas!"

Beth sat in silence as the dynamo next to her pulled out photos of prior year's themes and decorations and what she envisioned for this year. The theme she chose this year was "Champagne Elegance." All the rooms would be decorated in shades of white, cream, eggshell, etc., with touches of gold and silver throughout. Based on Chelsea's photos, and sketches, it looked beautiful, but cold and impersonal. Beth remembered Christmas with her parents when she was a child, they were cozy and warm with mismatched ornaments, and bright multicolored lights.

"It's beautiful. I'm sure Vika will approve of everything."

Chelsea looked up from the swatches she was sorting through and eyed Beth quizzically. "But, you don't love it. Mrs. Njoku said you have the final approval, so if you don't want this then we will come up with something else." She looked deflated that Beth didn't immediately love her idea.

Beth suddenly had a thought, "It's nice, but not for the whole house." She explained how she loved the simplicity of her childhood Christmases back home and suggested, "What about we decorate each room a different theme? We can do your elegant room for the formal parlor, and the family room can be the old fashioned, colored lights and silly ornaments, and paper snowflakes, a child's memory of Christmas."

Chelsea sat back and thought, a huge grin lit her face, "Oh! Em! Gee! Babe's that's fantastic! Let me get back to my studio. I've got so many ideas right now. We'll meet again on Thursday to go over everything!"

Beth walked Chelsea to the door and was prepared when she hugged Beth close.

***************

Nicky was working on the Vinyl side of the shop, Seb had errands to run, one of them was taking the kittens to Genevive for their shots. He didn't mind working on the other side every now and then, it gave him a chance to people-watch. The weather had turned sharply colder and a light freezing drizzle started falling, it matched his mood. Things with Ella hadn't improved since their fight last weekend, and he didn't know what to do anymore to make her happy. She was even more churlish and short-tempered with him lately and it reminded him of growing up with his alcoholic parents.

Memories of his childhood flooded back. He remembered his 8th birthday party, his mom invited all his friends from school, and she ended up passed out on the sofa. Another time, he hosted a party after completing secondary school, and both his parents got drunk and started arguing then physically fighting. His friends all left quickly giving him pitying looks as they left. They often used him against one another just to hurt each other. He learned quickly to just lock himself away when the drinking started. It was no wonder that he moved across the country and hadn't seen nor spoken to either of his parents in over five years.

He was closing up for the night when Ella traipsed into the shop. He was bent down locking up the till when he heard the bell over the door. He called out, "Sorry, we're closed."