Chapter 2)

She had hardly said this, when Malasha plumbed down her foot so that the water splashed right on to Akoulya's frock. The frock was splashed with mud, and so we're Akoulya's eyes and nose. When she saw the stains on her frock, she was angry and ran after Malasha to strike her. Malasha was frightened, and seeing that she had got herself into trouble, she scrambled out of the puddle, and prepared to run home. Just then Akoulya's mother happened to be passing, and seeing that her daughters skirt was splashed, and her sleeves dirty, she said, 'You naughty, dirty girl, what have you been doing?'

'Malasha did it on purpose,' replied the girl.

At this, Akoulya's mother seized Malasha, and scolded her. Malasha began to cry and she could be heard all down the street. Her mother came out.

'What are you scolding my girl for?'
Said she; and began scolding her neighbour. One word led to another and they had an angry quarrel. The men came out and a crowd collected in the street, everyone was shouting and no one was listening. They all went quarreling and the affair had very nearly come to blows, When Akoulya's old grandmother, stepping in among then, tried to calm them.

'What are you thinking of, friends? Is it right to behave so? On a day like this, too! It is a time for rejoicing, and not for such folly as this.'

𝙳𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚘𝚕𝚍
                     𝙻𝚊𝚍𝚢 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍?