PROLOGUE

Why did you have to be so cruel?

Crime scenes always give me butterflies

Crime scenes always give me butterflies. The bloodier they were, the better was the rush of pure excitement that went through my veins. I saw all kinds of dead bodies in my lifetime, so violence no longer really surprised me, but this murder was still just a little bit different.

It didn't happen every day that a rich girl got brutally stabbed while she was recovering from an assault in a prestigious private hospital. From what I've heard over the phone, things were quite gruesome over there and I hated myself for it, but I was kind of excited to see it in person. Violent crimes like these were the reason why I used to dream about becoming a murder investigator, before I changed my mind about it, chose a slightly different life path and focused on studying the human psyche instead.

'' Don't shoot me. I know that it might not look like it, but I'm one of you, I swear. '' I hopped over the yellow police tape that was blocking the hallway and threw my arms in the air. The hospital was full of cops and curious journalists were swarming the main entrance of the building. Somehow, information about this case already leaked to the public. '' I can show you my badge, if you want. I'm pretty sure that I have it with me. ''

I definitely don't have it with me, but this should buy me some time before I'll think of something.

I dug into the pockets of my old navy green jacket and pulled out a bunch of crinkled bills and candy wrappers. My lips stretched into a nervous smile, I scratched the back of my head and mumbled: '' Or not. Looks like I forgot it at home, but it definitely exists. Can't you just take my word for it? ''

Why do I sound so unconvincing? It's the truth.

One of the cops was about to escort me out of the building, when I suddenly saw a familiar face. Forensic pathologist Oh Sehun was standing a little further down the hallway and arguing with someone that I didn't recognize. Steam was rising from the plastic cup of coffee that he was holding in his hand and his pink hair was damp from when he had to run in the rain earlier. I was luckier than him - the downpour stopped just when my train reached the nearest subway station earlier and Seoul was all grey skies and crisp cold air when I hurried towards the hospital. '' Sehun? A little help over here? Oh Sehun! Stop pretending like we don't know each other! ''