Chapter 5

Harry read patiently at the Hufflepuff table as everyone was handed their schedules. When McGonagall headed over she handed him a sheet of paper giving him a curious glance. Harry gave her a smile and read his schedule.

"What do you have?" The girl beside him asked.

"Potions, Transfiguration, History of Magic, and Charms."

"We'll have charms together." She smiled. "I'm Susan Bones by the way."

He gave a small smile and a nod being polite even if he wanted to glare at her.

.-.

He watched the potion master carefully as the man stalked between the rows of Slytherins and Gryffindors. He just glared at Harry anytime there eyes met. He seemed to have a grudge or something against him. Harry could not figure out why. He frowned down at his potion in thought as he cut up the slugs. A simple boil healing potion but one kid was already in the hospital wing. He sighed inaudibly and continued on to the last step. As he finally got the last ingredient in the potion turned the right color. He bottled it up, taking an extra sample and slipping it into his bag unnoticed. As Snape called them up he stepped up to the desk and set it down ignoring the kids clambering to do the same. Snape, behind his desk, met Harry's eyes. Harry felt a nudge at his shield as Snape slid into his mind. The man wouldn't get any farther though because of his magic shield that the hat had said weren't normal.

'Something you want professor?' he asked mentally.

Snape's eyes widened slightly but never broke their gaze on his own. Snape seemed to explore his shield a moment before trying to pull out. Harry quickly used his magic to hold the man's conscious in his mind.

'I have a question first professor.' Hew practically purred. 'Tell me why you hate me.'

He could see the man struggle against the magical hold as his real body sweated and shook just slightly with the effort. No one noticed. Snape then stopped struggling, giving up as he still gazed into Harry's eyes.

'Let me exit your mind.' He barked in Harry's mind.

'Do you have an answer to my question?'

Snape gave a sour expression, eye contact still never breaking as his body stood perfectly still. He was silent a moment.

'Fine.' He snapped. 'Your father.'

'You hate me because of my father?'

There was an affirmative gesture. Harry let Snape's conscious go. Snape stepped back as he returned to his body.

"Do not enter my mind again Professor." Harry said only loud enough for Snape to hear. "And remember, I never even knew my father, so how can I be like him?"

Harry walked back to his desk with the other students leaving a frowning Snape.

.-.

Harry sighed and ran his fingers through his hair as he waited for class to empty. It his was second day at Hogwarts. He was once again in transfiguration. As the other students all exited he was left with the stern professor.

"Can I help you Mr. Potter?" she asked looking at him.

"I wish to see if I could take History of magic through correspondence."