The Day Death Died - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The operating room was bright. There were lights everywhere and people filled the room.

"Okay, Maddison. We're going to give you something to fall asleep so we can remove the metal, okay."

"Okay."

"Just count backwards from 100. You'll be asleep before you get to 95."

"100. 99. 98." My body grew very cold and everything went dark. 

The voices drifted away and I was left floating in space. 

"Maddison."

"Oh no," I grumbled. "Can I have surgery in peace?"

"Nope. Get up."

I sighed heavily and stood. The darkness faded to a hazy grey as I saw Death standing in the corner. He motioned for me to follow.

"Why?"

"You're getting a crash course in reaping."

"Now?"

"Why not now?" he asked.

I stopped and stared at him for a long moment. His eyes were dark pits of despair and his lips a dead body blue. 

"Don't dally. Let's go."

I walked along the hall with him till we got to the elevator.

"We're going to floor 4."

"Why?"

"Cancer wing," he responded.

"Oh."

The elevator dinged and we walked past doors. Doctors and nurses ran up and down the hall into one room at the end. A nurse ran through me, causing my body to fade away before it reformed.

"They can't see us," I mused.

"No. We're here but on a different plane."

I nodded.

"That room."

He pointed to the room where the doctors and nurses were running in and out of. I saw a younger woman standing in a corner crying uncontrollably, held by an older man. I glanced at the bed and saw an older woman laying there. Her white hair was matted to her head as a nurse performed CPR. Doctors administered medications as other nurses ran about the room performing other tasks.

"Why her?"

"It's her time, Maddison. She's old. She's in a lot of pain. Why should we let her continue to suffer?" he asked.

"Her family is really sad."

"Most families are when it's their loved one's time. But they eventually move on and the pain fades as they remember the happier times."

"Nobody really moves on," I mumbled.

"In time, you do. Plus, everyone dies. Mortals don't go at a specific age. Just when it's your time."

"Who decides that? The reapers?"

"No, that determination comes from the bosses. I don't even decide when."

He reached his hand out and placed it on her head. The machines flatlined as her spirit sat up.

"What's going on?" she asked, looking at death.

"Peace, dear lady."

She looked around then down at her body.

"Oh, oh no. Have I died?"