1

"Tell me her full name and age again, on the record." He grabs a pen and paper and clicks the record button on the tape.

Even through all of my winter layers, my base layer, my snow pants, my long sleeve, my sweatshirt, my heavy coat, the metal of the chair sends shivers through my body. Maybe it's not the chair. Maybe it's being in this room. The plain, off white walls. The long, metal table with a janky leg, moving up and down every time I take my elbow on and off of it. The tiny camera staring down at me from the corner of the room. The two detectives sitting across from me in their white long sleeve dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up and a loosened tie hanging around their necks.

"Kenzie. Kenzie Valena. 22 years old." My breath hitches in my throat. I can't believe this is happening.

They both stare at me quizzically, making me shift in my seat, like I've done something wrong. "And when did you first notice that she was missing?"

"Today." Merry Christmas to me.

"And how do you know she didn't run off? Did you try calling her? Maybe she's in traffic."

My nerves begin to subside as my blood starts to boil. "Of course I called her. She's my sister for fuck's sake. She was supposed to be at my house at 10am. It's 5pm. She wouldn't be stuck in traffic for 7 hours, especially since she lives 20 minutes away."

They look at each other with this look, probably thinking that I'm out of my fucking mind. "We understand how difficult this can be, but we have to ask these questions. There can be other possibilities. Possibilities that you would probably rather be the case than you're sister missing."

I try to contain my anger because I know that losing my shit is only going to make this worse, make it take longer to begin the investigation. "I understand, but I know my sister better than anyone. I know that she wouldn't skip out on Christmas without calling. Something is off and I really need you guys to do something about it. I need to find her. I need your help."

The detective on the left takes the lead. I spy a name sewn into the jacket hanging off of his chair. Cook. Detective Cook. "When was the last time you saw your sister?"

"December 23rd. Two nights ago, Detective Cook."

His partner jots down the date while Detective Cook continues. "Call me Cal. And tell me every detail you remember from that night."