Five

I placed the kitten on the ground for a moment to check my phone. I had only twenty percent battery power left and enough credit for two texts. I decided against using GPS because it was so power needy and when I checked my texts I was bombarded with my family's desperate ways to try and contact me.

First I texted Dad, saying:

Got lost on midnight stroll. Help! I'm OK but not sure what to do. Also found stray kitten. Xx

I then texted Joe the exact same message in case Dad's phone was off.

I put my phone in my pocket and followed the kitten to a park where I sat on a weathered bench to ponder.

"You need a name" I murmured to the kitten. She ignored me.

"How about... Naomi? Tabi? Suzie? Sophie? Zoe?"

"Mew!"

"Zoe it is then" I declared. As I did so, my phone started ringing. I quickly answered it. It was Joe.

"Mary! Where are you? What's happening?"

"Thank God you called, Joe. I got lost when I was out walking and I must have taken the wrong turning or something..."

"Ok. Just describe your area" he instructed.

"Umm... I'm at a park... Hold on, I'll look for a sign. Uh, Madley Park" I told him.

"I'll be there ASAP" he replied, then hung up.

I smiled. I felt good, safe. Help was on its way.