Prologue

Hyunjin

Prince Hwang Hyunjin took a deep breath, letting all the anxiety building inside him dissipate as he exhaled. It wasn't the ball that scared him, it was the amount of women that were going to approach him— each female trying their best to be the chosen one. Though he knew many of the women approaching him would be doing so based on their family's intentions, rather than their own. Tonight, Hyunjin had to pick at least one woman that he could potentially marry. Afterwards, would come casual meetings and courting until Hyunjin decided who he'd like to marry.

The mingling chatter of princesses and duchesses could be heard from the other side of the door which Hyunjin waited by. He was waiting for the cue of his arrival and then the guards beside him would open the doors for him to walk through as the evening would begin.

An hour ago, Hyunjin had been fitted into a white tunic laced with gold. A cloak made of soft white felt was draped over his left shoulder so that he would have free mobility of his right arm. His hair was brushed and the top half was put up into a ponytail with a piece of white lace. Berries had been crushed to add a red tint to his lips and cheeks, while black kohl was used to line his eyes. Finally, his crown was placed and he was ready to make his entrance.

Hyunjin's body tensed and he heard the shout for everyone in the ballroom to go silent. In the next second, the steward cleared his throat and spoke clearly, "May I present to you, Prince Hwang Hyunjin."

The guards took the door's handles and in one swift pull, they separated. Gasps and hushed whispers flooded through the now-open doorway as Hyunjin took his first step towards his fate. He approached the edge of the balcony with squared shoulders and a smile as he overlooked the crowd that gathered for him. He could already see so many gorgeous women awaiting their encounter. 

"Hello and thank you," Hyunjin began, letting his echo, "I have been looking forward to this night as much as I believe you all have. I had long been dreaming of the day my twentieth birthday would come and I'd begin my search for the women whom for the rest of my life, I'd be able to give my heart to. Tonight is that night and I welcome you all with my heart open."

A steward came up to Hyunjin's side with a glass of wine on a tray. Hyunjin nodded as he took the class and turned back to the crowd. "To love," he ended his speech and took a sip. Everyone followed suit, shouting his last line with cheers.