Part 1

Once upon a time there was this stupid old- who am I kidding? Alright, alright. That was once upon MY time.

I was sunbathing on the beach. Fine. THAT, and feasting my eyes with the girls around. It was all happy day and blue sky and lovely sun until he arrived.

“Cuddle up, beasts!” the human clapped his hands. I yawned. The others scuttled towards him, and I had a feeling that this guy wasn’t just SOME guy. I mean, not that we crabs know much about those human subspecies, but still, our type didn’t really ‘bowed’ to orders like some chained slaves, which was what my friends were doing right now.

“You all probably know me already, but still…” he clapped once, “Me the Eldest Magician here has a role in line for you species.”

Ah, the Eldest Magician. So this is THE Magician. They were talking about him like mad, but not in a gossipy way.

Once my buddy told me, “He could turn you into a rainbow in a wave of his hands!”

And I was like “COOL!” I mean, rainbows were beautiful, weren’t they?

The Magician didn’t seem to notice me. He continued, “Play at being a crab. That’s all you need to do.”

I laid back on the warm sand, half-hearing the Magician babble on about composing the Earth, giving earthlings a job, and blah, blah, some stuff 
magicians would say to intimidate the others, you know.

Then I noticed the little human girl perching next to him. And she was glaring at me. My first expression to her was like, “I don’t date humans. Sorry.” But then I realized I was the only one not in the group paying attention to the stupid Magician so I figured she wasn’t happy about it.

I smiled up at the sun. She continued to glare.

Really?

I scoffed and scuttled away towards the sea, drifting myself back to my house below the scorching Earth.

*******