Chapter 30

The doorbell rang and Alden jumped up from the couch. "I'll get it!" He shouted, running to the door. It was around six, so I was guessing it was Jase. I heard the door open. Alden repeated the scenario from when Dakota showed up at the hospital.

"Alden! You're going to scare the neighbors away! Cut it out!" I yelled.

"How many other hot guys do you know?! Jesus!" He shouted back. The door opened again. This time, Jase followed Alden into the living room, where we had been watching chick flicks.

       "Hey there, Jaylor!" I smiled enthusiastically. "You just met Alden, and that's Jana." I said, pointing. "I showed them the video."

"You didn't!"

"Oh, she did." Alden smiled. "It was hi-larious!"

Jana and I rolled our eyes. I heard a car pull up into the driveway. I knew it was my mom and Steven, so I stayed put. Someone else could get the door.

"Food! They brought food!" Alden shouted excitedly, running out the door. The three of us stared at each other, trying to figure out what was wrong with that boy.

"Is he-" Jase started to ask.

"Yes, he's gay." Jana interrupted.

"I was going to ask if he was in his right mind, but I guess that explains the whole slamming the door in my face thing." He shrugged.

"Well, I guess you can stay for supper, and then we're Skyping. I would make you do it now, but I'm starved and they brought chicken." I said, peering out the window.

"I thought you couldn't eat things like that." Jana said.

"It's okay to eat it occasionally. I haven't eaten anything like that since I had the surgery, so it should be fine."

"Don't eat it if you have any doubts. If you end up back in the hospital, I think you'll go crazy."

"Oh believe me, I will." I laughed.

       "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, dad!" Alden shouted in Steven's ear. Steven gave him an annoyed look. "Hey, hey, hey!" He continued, dragging out the last hey.

"Alden, stop it!"

"Why?"

"I'm not giving you the whole bucket of chicken, no matter how badly you annoy me!"

"You're no fun." Alden pouted. They sat the chicken down on the table and everyone ran over to it.

"Jase can stay, can't he?" Alden asked. Jana kicked him in the shin.

"Jana kicked me!" Alden whined. Steven rolled his eyes. I felt bad for him.

"Of course Jase can stay. The more the merrier." My mom replied.

"I didn't know you were going to invite everyone over, Aza. I would have gotten more chicken, a few beers, you know, whatever you kids like." Steven winked. I laughed at him.

"Next time I'll be sure to let you know." I replied sarcastically.

"Drugs, drugs for everyone!" Alden shouted, throwing a piece of chicken in the air. It landed on my plate and knocked the plate out of my hand. It fell to the floor, still on the plate. "Aza! You can't steal my food, gosh!" He joked. He picked up my plate and took the chicken off of it. "Get your own food."

I laughed at him, as did everyone else. 

       After we had eaten and talked a while, I dragged Jase into my mom's working space. It consisted of a desk with a computer sitting on top, a printer off to the side, a small couch on one side of the wall, and a bunch of magazines and papers. I liked it in there. It was always warm and smelled good.