2

"the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine"

FLASHBACK 

Ava's Pov

"Do you really have to leave?" Kate whimpered as I folded my khaki and stashed it in the suitcase.
I chuckled as a response to her 100th time saying the same thing. 

"If only I could Xerox myself and send one to Canada and keep a part of me beside you forever"

Kate jumped over the piles of clothes and threw herself on the bed lying just cm away from where I sat. She shifted a bit and rested her head on my left thigh. She looked up to me, slowly scanning my lips.

"But I don't want parts of you -" she raised her right hand placed it on the back of my neck and slowly pulled my face down "- I want all of you, all the strings attached, everything" and kissed me. Her lips felt soft. Like digging into a ripened plum, but with the taste of that of strawberries. Our first kiss hadn't been this smooth with my braces on. Kate used to get cuts, and whenever she had one everybody in the school knew why.

I felt her hand near my jaw just where the ear stopped. Winter dryness never even seemed to have touched that perfect skin of hers.

"Hey, pack me in that suitcase of yours and take me with you, will you?" she whispered.
I kissed her at the side of her neck.

"Sure, why not" I replied softly with a giggle.

She moved her hands to my sweater and unbuttoned the first stud. Suddenly she turned and the next thing I knew, we were right across each other kissing. One hand on the back of my head, she used the other to completely unbutton my sweater. Quickly she removed the grey turtle neck she was wearing and threw both the clothes on the floor.

" Is that a new bra you're wearing?" she asked looking down at my chest.
"What?" I asked, staggered enough.

"I've never seen you wearing that one, you look hot"

"what even shut upp!"

She smiled, the smile that made me fall in love with her and till date intimidates me. I knew I was blushing tomato red. Every time she's around that's how it's always been.
"avs?" she whispered and ran down her hand through my neck and up again to my cheeks. Her hands were soft but a bit cold. Bit of the radiator warmth, cold weather and chills her touch brought, gave the best feeling ever.

"hmm?" I replied. My eyes closed, feeling her cold hands on my neck.

"Be with me forever" she whispered in my ear and kissed me at the temple and then my lips.
She started off gently just like her, giving the other the space they need. I picked up the pace. Typical of me. I moved fast and Kate knew I was habituated to it.

"I never get you" one autumn day she had sighed as we were taking an evening walk on a quiet road on the outskirts of the city.
I had giggled and asked why.
" You're always moving, moving faster in every step you know like a bullet train or I don't know prolly faster than that and yet you just somehow manage to notice and admire the little things on your way. How do you do that?"

I was leaving for uni and this was probably the last time we had time to be with each other this passionately before that. Do long distances work? It was for us to find out. I was in love with her. So much that even being an ocean away I could never fall for anybody that wasn't her. If only there was a future teller who could tell us whether or not what we felt for each other right now would last forever. Since the day I got my acceptance letter we'd never talked about what would happen to us if I were to leave. We always knew this was coming but we never talked about it with each other ever before. Even now, I couldn't. Somewhere it felt like we didn't have to. We both were the kind of people who liked to go with the flow. 6 months back when my acceptance letter came we'd been together for a few months and everybody around us doubted we'd ever make it this far, to me leaving. Probably that was a part of the reason we never talked about it. Talking about me leaving meant planning ahead. Assuming on our own that we would definitely last that far. And assuming things like this was something we both had always failed at before.

I slipped my hands to the back of her neck and hers were struggling with my hair.
"I have to pack" I rambled out of breath.
"shhh"
Her hand went down my thigh. She let me down on the bed and pulled me out my trouser. She gave a quick peck on my collar bone and kissed my stomach.
"oh god, my stomach" I squeaked.
"liar you don't even get tickled" she looked up quickly and confused.
"Oh no, it's the butterflies" I muttered.
She smiled, the victory smile she put up when she realized her seducing was working.
She slid up and drew herself closer to my face. Her lips on my neck and then a smooch on my cheeks.

"You want me, don't you?" she spoke under her breath her lips just a fraction away from mine.

She wasn't just someone I wanted but somebody I needed to keep my nerves down. Somebody who brought out the sane in me in every insane way possible.

I grabbed her neck and turned her over. She always knew what it took to get me on the top.
Planting a kiss on her neck always ended up being a big blue mark. Her personality, the tough front she puts up for the whole world, wearing collar shirts and coats over ties but she was so soft, both inside and outside like petals of a flower. Her skin was like a well-ripped flesh fruit that once you have can never get over its taste. I kissed her on her the shoulder and then ran my lips through the space between her chest and down to her stomach.

She let out a sigh as I kissed her belly. Suddenly she grabbed me by the hand and slid on top of me.

" I like it when you go all wild" she smirked " but my treat tonight. I deserve it. "

With everything she made me feel, words were swallowing itself down my throat and all I did was nod, that with a slight smile. She tucked my hair at the back of my ear, laid a kiss on my forehead and in the softest voice possible said,

"Your eyes are pretty."

I wake up with a jolt. That feeling , of being in love with her was back again. The dreams I use to have of being with her they're back again, almost as if they actually happened. The pain, the butterflies, the comfort of being around her. She feels like home, always had. Seeing her yesterday after so many years felt like being hit by a truck and as if I'd just stepped into paradise at the same time. 

My phone rings, it's her. She asked for my number before leaving. I remember her words, "hey avs? we should get back in touch you know. why don't you give me your number."

"hey" I pick up the call 

"were you sleeping? I'm sorry if I woke you up"

"oh no don't worry about it I was already up"

"if so good morningg. I probably shouldn't be calling on the personal cell for work purposes but thought it might be a good excuse to check if you gave me the right number" she giggled. 

I'm confused. Everything about talking to her was confusing except the fact that I liked talking to her, I could talk to her for the rest of my life even though I just saw her for the first time in 5 years. 

"why would I give not give you the right number kate" I ask

"I don't you tell me you're the one who kicked me out of your life just like that"

"not like you ever tried to return in it" I blurt, probably sounding a little mad. 

She stayed quiet. 

"oh I didn't.." her voice is low "I thought I was giving you space, it felt like you didn't want me in your life and I didn't want to feel rejected, you know my ego" she says. 

"I Guess I just wanted to see if you would be willing to put your ego aside for me"

"Wow- uh you- you just seemed really pissed"

"Yes because I was."

"Okay"

"Yeah. Why did you call"

"I just, I don't know oh uh- can you come to the firm today. Need some signatures and we need a build a case so  a little talk too to get our story straight."

"9 am work for you? "

"sure"

"alright"