Always with you

Cricketers and their coffins have strange relation. No coffin here doesn't mean the things you bury a dead body in, cricketers refer to their kits as coffins.

Arguably thats one of their most personal spaces in the world, more often then not they carry their entire world.

And right now Indian skipper Virat Kohli was staring right into his coffin.

First series after the official retirement, after HIS official retirement. It was for good, Mahi bhai wasn't returning to field and Virat felt hollow more than sad. It felt strange, thought it shouldn't, he has played the test without him for years now, for the last 1.5 years Mahi bhai had been on a sabbatical, honestly Mahi bhai had given him enough time to adjust to the mindset.

But can you ever adjust to a thing like this. Somehow that sense of security being drawn away from under him, that cold hard truth that he is not coming back, it was a hard pill to take.

Today was a decider match...Aus was tied with India for the series win, this was a decider, they had to win it and Vi was frantically looking for his Mahi bhai.

"Where are you Mahi bhai?" Vi said to the air "You told me I will always have Home in you always, then where are you when I need you?"

The innings had begin outside, Sikhi and Ro were on the crease. KL looked inside the dressing room again and again. Virat had asked no one too come in, but Sikhi was looking too shaky and Vi needed to pad up. Also KL didn't feel good about Vi being there alone in his corner in the dressing room.

"Cheeku I will always be with you...Cheeku I will be there for you...where are you Mahi bhai" Vi shouted through his teeth "WHERE ARE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU?"

He threw his kit on the ground in frustration and covered his face with his hands.

"I just need one word from you bhai...just one word" He breathed heavily "Please come."

Suddenly something hit his shoes, he looked down to see a tarnished white ball.
Vi picked it up and stared at it.

Vi stared at the ball, at the inscription on the ball to be specific, as though in a different zone.

He returned back to the time he got it.

*Flashback*

"Why did you do this bhai?" Virat whined "Kya zarurat thhi?"

"Because" Mahi said pinching Virat's cheeks, making Vi pout "Its the right time to do it kiddo."

"But why? Thik toh thha, why did you step down?" Vi asked.

"Because I want to see my kiddo become the captain he can be, while I am still playing" Mahi said sitting beside Vi "I want to see in safe hands kiddo"

"Bhai!" Virat hugged Mahi tightly, he hated when bhai talked of retiring.

"Kiddo, abhi thori na ja raha hun" Mahi patted his back "Aise mat kar"

"What if I fail bhai?" VI said

"Why would you kiddo?" Mahi said "I know my Cheeku, if he puts his mind and heart into something he gets it done. And you are not alone kiddo, I am always there bachcha, no matter what you have a home in me."

"Promise?" Virat asked.

"Pakka promise bachcha" Mahi said "Now you have a big day tomorrow, your first match as full time captain, go get some sleep."

"Main yahi so raha hu" Virat whined.

"Achha thik hai" Mahi laughed ruffling his hair.

Ind vs England series commenced the next day.
And in no time Indian was up by 2 - 0, in 3 odi series.