Chapter one.

It had been a few weeks since the shooting or at least that's the way it felt. Feelings were a funny thing and new ones or possibly hidden ones were emerging for Donna and Josh - neither one speaking on those feelings quite yet ( but that would soon change.)

The morning after Josh had apologized to Donna for his sudden burst of honesty, he realized that they hadn't talked to each other yet, more like the blonde hadn't told him whatever it was she wanted. It was only at lunch when he took her out so they had the chance to talk, so that she had the chance to talk. They only really had time for something fast and greasy which was a shame, though they were just friends so it didn't really matter. He watches her as she pops a few fries into her mouth, chuckling softly as he then stares down at his food - realizing that he wasn't really hungry.

"You okay Josh?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"
"You just haven't eaten very much which isn't like you. By the way, I wanted to talk to you about something or ask you something."
"Shoot."
"What's your type?"
"My type of what?"
"Woman. Like what you like...."
"Donna, are we seriously having this conversation? I can't imagine that that's what you wanted to ask me. I just don't see it coming from you, I know you."
"Yes we are and no you don't, not really. You only know the professional me, the work me. You didn't answer my question by the way."
"Fine."
"So?"
"So I don't know, I haven't really given it much thought because I'm always so busy. Someone intelligent, sensitive but not so sensitive that she can't take a heated back and forth, not an argument but just a....." He waves his hand, dipping a fry in ketchup but realizing too late that it was actually his burger because he hadn't been paying attention. "Anyways, someone funny and sweet. I mean, I don't know what answer to give you because to be honest I would need to think about it and that's...."
"Sad? Was that what you were going for?" She smirks, laughing at what had happened to his burger.
"No."
"Well it's sad."

There's silence for a few minutes, finishing up their lunch and finally getting back to the White House in what seemed like the nick of time because unlike every other crazy day, this one was about to get a whole lot crazier. "What the hell is going on?" "Don't look at me, how would I know?" Donna pipes up, throwing off her jacket when she felt it was a bit too warm. "I'll ask around, see what I can find out."

"Thanks Donna. I'll be in my office. If you see Sam around, can you tell him to come see me?"

"Yep." She's at her desk now, taking a minute to twirl in her chair before looking over some papers, not looking up. "Thanks for lunch. And Josh?" It's now that she looks up, a quick bolt of courage seeming to enter her body before quickly disappearing. Why was this so hard? Why was she so unsure?

"Yeah?"

"Can I uh - will you wait with me tonight? My car stopped working and I haven't had a chance to call Triple A to get it figured out so I'll have to hang back and wait."

He found her request a bit odd but he didn't take the time to truly think on it, offering her a smile and nodding his head as he's in his office doorway. "Yeah sure, just let me know when. I'll try and be the best company I can."

"You're always the best company. Thanks."

With that, he's in his office, shutting his door and pulling the blinds before he collapses down on his couch - knowing that there's work to be done but there seemed to be one thing on his mind. One person, one Donna Moss.