Chapter Eleven

"This is a terrible idea," Nikolai mumbles, his hands crossed over his chest. I roll my eyes at him, the irony in that being said to him by me a day earlier not lost on me.
"Well, do you have a better one?" Amari says with a huff, facing him and placing her hands on her hips.
"Well, no, but—"
"Then I don't want to hear it. These men will do whatever you ask for their freedom and a few coins. That's what they've been chasing and stealing their whole life."
"I am with Nikolai, this could go very wrong," Likan says, "I know guys like these, I was raised by them. They will slit your throat and rob you blind without batting an eye, loyalty is not in their blood."
"What do you suppose else we do? Huh?" Amari looks at me. "Back me up."
I chew on my bottom lip and sigh. "I'm with Amari. I'm not sending honest men to break their backs in Ingrav, not when we need them here. Besides, I'll be going so—"
Nikolai looks like he just swallowed a burning rock. "On my deathbed you're going," he exclaims with a snort and runs a hand through his hair. "If you think for one second I would let you do this—"
"Wow, excuse me? Let me? You can't let me do anything. I'm my own person, I make my own decisions." I snap, anger blooming in my stomach and heating the already warm feeling in my gut.
"No, not if they're foolish, deadly ones you're not." Nikolai shakes his head and throws his hands in the air. "What in the bleeding Gods are you thinking? You can't leave the capital right now, and surely not if we agree on sending these rats to do the hard work."
"Alaya," Barron says, walking over to me and grabbing my hands. "There is no way any of us are going to let you go to Ingrav. We need you here, at home."
"I have to go," I snap, pulling my hands free. "There are questions I need answered that I won't ever find here. I'm going, even if I have to sneak out to do it."
"I am coming with you then," Likan says, "You can take care of yourself, but you are not going alone with a bunch of criminals."
"No, Likan, you're needed here." I shake my head, "I've seen you with a bow, you can kill anything before it even thinks about reaching the capital. Barron, don't you offer either. You're the best blacksmith in the Royal Square, it's why the Sultans used you. We can't risk losing you."
"What about us? We can go," Demeter says, waving between her, Syran and Jerrick, the last of which gives her a look that shows he'd rather do anything but.
"Again, you three are Imordals, you're needed here. I can handle myself," I say with a roll of my eyes. "Don't any of you trust that?"
"We all do," Amari says softly, placing a hand on my shoulder, "But we all care about you and don't want to see you hurt."
"All of you are staying. I'm going with her,"  Nikolai turns to me, "and if you try to argue, I will nail your door shut when you sleep." he says in a low voice, "Don't try me."
I swallow at his deadly tone. I know he probably would follow through with that threat and everyone else would help him do it too. I'm overruled. I roll my eyes and sigh in defeat."We use the men down there," I point to the receding stairs, "And I go with them. One of you besides Barron can come with me, that is it."
"I will—" Likan starts to offer, but Nikolai gives him a look that shuts him up. "Demeter, Jerrick, Syran and I will stay here." He finishes instead. Jerrick sighs like he's off the hook and Demeter shrugs. Syran just seems disinterested with the whole thing.
"I'm going with you," Nikolai says, "That's the end of it."
I narrow my eyes at him, "Fine. Whatever." I throw my hands in the air in surrender and turn my back on them, heading down the stairs. Amari follows behind me, her hand coming up to my shoulder.
"He cares for you," she whispers so low I don't catch her words at first. My face reddens when I finally realize what she said.
"That's just how he is," I whisper back, though I know that I'm lying through my teeth. It's obvious enough that he cares about me, to what extent I don't know. But it doesn't matter, not how I feel or how he feels, not now. There are far too many other things going on without adding that to the list. So I shove the possibility of anything down, far down, to where I don't have to think about it and ignore the flutter in my stomach that lasts until we reach the stares. Then it starts moving in the opposite direction, my insides knotting up in nerves.
Amari opens the door with the set of keys Kyrad handed her before going off to his duties. The stink of mold and rat dung hits me immediately and I wrinkle my nose, tucking it into the hem of my shirt. Amari does the same as she steps into the dungeon. It's a nasty, old place with concrete walls and floors and twelve single cages lined to our left like dog kennels. They are about the same size as them too, made only tall enough for a man to stand and long enough for him to lay down. The Queen hardly used the dungeon; she normally doesn't see fit to keep prisoners, she just finds some morbid way to kill them. But these men must have information she hasn't quite beaten out if them yet.
"You pretty girls come down here to play?" a voice drawls from the corner of one of the cells closest to us. It holds the hint of an unfamiliar accent, and sounds hoarse like he hasn't spoken in days.
"We have a proposition for you," I say, tamping down on the fear that makes my skin crawl. "Your help for your freedom and some coins."
"Freedom?" another voice speaks this time with a clear Mahveneese accent. "What to do for such a hefty price, little raven?"
"Mining Grimstone," I reply, "The vamphir have come to our home and we need weapons."
"The relisira," he uses the Mahveneese word for the creatures. "The Nightwalkers, the Dark Ones, the Undying, the Blooddrinkers, the Grey Ones and the list goes on." The man sounds like he's smiling behind his words. "You fear the extinct, little raven."
"Not extinct," I correct, "Alive and deadly."
"Then you would need Grimstone," he affirms, and suddenly, an older man is standing at the edge of a cage furthest from us. His greasy blonde hair is long, falling down past his shoulders, and his bones stick out from beneath his skin like he hasn't seen a proper meal in days. He wears the tattered remains of black trousers, but no shirt or shoes. His skin color is ghastly pale, and his eyes, dark hazel and surprisingly sane, bore into mine.  Captain Xanvier Barhone is who stands before me, caged like a dog. The most fearsome pirate across the Four Salt Seas, one that terrorized its waters for years along with his crew. But they're only shadows of that down here, locked up and hundreds of miles away from the waters. "You need me and my crew to mine it for ye."
I nod my head though it isn't a question, starting to walk forward when a warm, calloused hand on the small of my back stops me. I turn to see Nikolai shake his head.
"I won't bite," he says, his eyes moving to Nikolai and he whistles. "A fighter, you are," he says, wagging his finger at him. "I can recognize a killer anywhere. Especially you, Astipar, even after all of these years. How long has it been? Oh, you were just a boy when we met." I glance at Nikolai in confusion, but the only sign of a reaction is a tick in his jaw and his fingers knotting into my shirt.
"Do you accept the offer or not?" I snap, "Your clock is ticking."
"Oh, little raven, all of our clocks are ticking. Time is finite," he says and a deranged giggle comes from somewhere to my left. "What do ye say, boys?"
"Freedom," a man says and a few others echo the word.
"There you have it," the man nods, "We accept your offer, little raven."
"Very well," Amari says and we exchange a glance. "When the time comes to leave, you will be summoned." With that, Amari and I turn on our heels and walk back up the stairs. Nikolai follows behind us, his hand still curled into a fist, my shirt in its grip. As Amari exits, I glance back at Nikolai. He looks troubled and like he's just seen a ghost. And perhaps he has; a ghost from his past, one that he probably never expected to see again. The strong urge to calm his storm of emotions makes the warmth in my belly grow, but I shove it down. No time for that now.
We close the door to the dungeon behind us and make our way back up the stairs.
"So he agreed?" Demeter asks Amari as we join outside in the hallway, Nikolai's hold on my shirt finally dropping.
"He did. I'll notify Kyrad and he'll pick out the Sultans to go on the trip and stay in Ingrav with them. There will be six, that should be enough against the three of them down there," Amari gestures towards the dungeon, "especially with them all malnourished like that." She shivers in either fear or disgust, I'm unsure.
"I still do not like it," Likan says with a sigh, "But I suppose you are right. We have no other option."
"It will be fine," I assure him, placing a hand on his broad shoulder. Though I speak the words, I'm not sure if even I believe them. Captain Xanvier and his crew were a force to be reckoned with once upon a time, with the massive Lady Black ship and its cannon balls that sunk dozens of other pirate ships as well as some of the Queen's armada. They ruled the salt seas for decades until they tested their luck on land in Tultarin and lost. Those that weren't taken prisoner were slaughtered for their crimes, and the rest sent to the capital as prizes for the Queen.
"What do think men like that will do with freedom once they have it?" Demeter asks, making us all exchange a look. She brings up a good question.
"Surely not become model citizens," Barron snorts and Demeter laughs.
"I am certain they will go back to being pirates, letting us do all of the hard work to survive while they hide away on their ship." Likan shakes his head, his nose wrinkles in disgust. "Makes me sick."
"We'll worry about that later," I begin, "Right now we focus on things we can control. I'm going to spend the rest of my day packing so we can leave bright and early tomorrow. Nikolai, I suggest you do the same. Everyone else, enjoy the free time, you won't have it long."
"Buzzkill," Dememter mumbles under her breath as the group disperses, talking amongst themselves and leaving only Amari, Barron and I standing.
"Well," Amari sighs, her eyes flitting between us, "I suppose I should go find Kyrad and let him know of your plans to leave tomorrow."
"What will you tell your mother?" I ask, grabbing onto her wrist as she starts to leave. She turns to me and smiles mischievously.
"She hasn't summoned the prisoners in a week, nor will she miss a handful of Sultans. We'll keep this between us and the Gods."
"And if she finds out?"
"Add it to the list of disappointments I have caused her." She shrugs, "As for you, I don't think her hate could grow much stronger." Her eyes turn serious. "Remember what I said about her, Alaya."
"I know," I promise, squeezing her arm lightly. The Queen may not be the immediate threat, but she's one nonetheless and I'd do well to remember it.
"Good evening to you both." She nods in Barron and I's direction before heading down the hall.
"I never thought the princess would be like that," he says as we start off towards the eastern wing and back to the resident hall. "I expected her to be like Queen Lavina."
"Amari is a special kind of person," I reply, glancing at him as we walk. "She inherited her mother's courage, but not her cruelty. She will make a fine queen when the time comes."
Barron stares hard at me, but says nothing for a moment. "Can you take me to meet our father?" His words are so soft I think I misunderstood him at first. I look at him, shocked.
"You want to meet him?"
"I would like to. I suppose it's something we both deserve in case. . . well, in case it's the end."
"Barron," I glare at him, "don't think like that. But yes, it is what you both deserve. I think it's overdue, in fact."
Barron holds his hand out, "After you then, sister."
I roll my eyes at him, but lead him up the stairs and to the seventh floor of the resident hall. We walk in silence, both lost in our own thoughts. I wonder if he's excited. . . or scared, perhaps? Either way, it's a big step, and my gut twists uncomfortably for him. I know our father will be nervous as well, and definitely surprised, but it would make him happy to know that his son has forgiven him for how he handled the situation in the past. Or at least isn't holding a grudge.
When we reach our father's door, there are two Sultans standing on either side of it. Barron and I exchange a look as we walk up. Loud voices drift from the room, one I bet is my father and the other a woman. The Sultans don't even spare us a glance as we come to stand in front of the door, but when I reach up to knock, one of them stops me.
"They're in a meeting," he grunts in a gravelly voice. I narrow my eyes at him, but step back, crossing my arms over my chest. It doesn't take long to figure out who's with him in the room. Queen Lavina's scratchy voice is easier to recognize up close, although the door muffles the words so I can't understand what's being said. It's clear she isn't happy judging by how loud and fast she's speaking, and my curiosity makes my fingers itch to open the door.
Heeled footsteps sound across the floor in the room and then the door opens and Queen Lavina is in its frame. She meets my gaze immediately, her brown eyes tight and narrowed. Surprise flickers across her features, but it disappears as quick as it came and then she smiles. It isn't a kind one either, and reminds me more of a dog baring its teeth. I refuse to look away, my back instinctively straightening like a rod.
"Little Alaya," she purrs, her voice all honey, "We were just talking about you."
I can only imagine what they were saying. I glance between the Sultans. "Why am I not surprised?" I say, meeting her gaze again. Her smile widens, but her eyes are cold, gleaming with unconcealed hatred.
"You'd do well to remember who is in charge," Lavina says, "What do you suppose will happen when these creatures crawl back into the depths of the Underworld? You and your kind will no longer be useful," she reaches up, brushing a strand of hair from my face. Her touch is like ice and I have to ball my hands into fist to keep myself from decking her. But her words hit me hard, the realization settling into my bones. She leans closer to me, her lips almost against my ear. "You will all die, fighting for a world that doesn't want you." Her words are barely above a whisper as she leans away, turning to Barron. She gives him an uninterested onceover before walking off. The Sultans follow in her footsteps, neither of them paying any mind to us.
I watch her as she leaves, a glare still fastened on my face. My cheeks are hot and red in rage, and I'm sure I'll have fingernail imprints on my palms from how hard I'm squeezing my fists. She is right, as much as I hate to admit it. Our war may be with the vamphir now, but when it's all said and done with, the Queen will still rule over Adonia. Over her dead body would anyone else sit on that throne. And that isn't an option, not if I have anything to say about it. As much of a cunt as she is, she's still Amari's mother, and Amari would never forgive me. Besides, she's still a human being and I'm not going to be in any way responsible for taking another life. Not again. As for everyone else hating us, that I'm not so sure. People seemed to accept us here, such as Kyrad and a handful of other Sultans. Would they really turn on us when it's all over or would they shake our hands and accept us for what we are, for what we did? There's no way of knowing, but that doesn't mean we have the option to back out. Maybe they could leave a whole species out to rot, but I know I can't.
I release the breath I'd been holding and flex my stiff fingers, biting down on the urge to cry and scream in frustration.
Barron places a hand on my back. "You okay?"
"Fine." I bite out, turning my head towards him. "Don't let this ruin your moment." I force a smile on my face and quickly rap on the door. She stole what little excitement I had left and now all I can think about is going to hide in my room, away from anyone that could see me have a breakdown.
Heavy footsteps sound before the door opens. "Lavina, I—" he stops mid sentence, his eyes catching on Barron. We all stand awkwardly for a moment, the two men scanning each other's faces. Seeing them standing next to each other is like seeing Father look in the mirror. They're so identical with their strong, wide faces and brown eyes that it's actually almost creepy.
"Father," I speak first, pointing to Barron, "this is Barron. Barron, this is Ashtrick Maltrov. Or Father if you prefer." I add, my smile feeling slightly less forced. And then suddenly, our father has him wrapped in a bear hug, his long arms locked in an iron grip around Barron's waist. Barron hugs him back almost as intensely. I stand there, fighting the urge to cry for so many reasons. I have to bite on my inner cheek to keep control of myself. Gods, I'm a pathetic mess.
"My son, I can't apologize enough," Father says as he pulls away, holding Barron at an arm's length. Barron grabs Father's wrists and squeezes, shaking his head.
"You've had your reasons, and I've had my time to hate you for them. I only want to get to know you now." Barron drops his hands as Father escorts us into his room. I debate on leaving, but then think about what Lavina could have possibly been telling him and decide to stay. As much as I want to disappear into my room, I'm too much of a curious person to pass the chance to get more information on the Queen. After all, she did say it was me they were talking about.
"Have a seat," Father says, gesturing to the bed as he finds purchase on the weapon's chest. Barron gingerly sits on the edge of the bed and I stay standing, arms on my hips.
"What did the Queen want?" I ask when no one else makes an attempt to speak. Father gives me a look that clearly means don't ask. "It was about me, was it not?" I say, starting to pace. "She came to tell you how insubordinate I am and that I should be locked away for good."
Father shakes his head and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Alaya—"
"I deserve to know if there's a threat to me," I snap, stopping and giving him an annoyed look.
"There is no threat to you," he says patiently, "Not if you keep your mouth shut and listen to her orders. Alaya, the Queen is not someone to trifle with."
"She's cruel, and dense. Everyone at that wedding would be dead if it wasn't for us." I snap, jabbing a finger between Barron and I.
Father nods calmly, but I can see the tension creasing his forehead. "I know, and she knows that too. It's the only reason you aren't dead yet. But, Alaya, don't forget dying isn't the only pain you can suffer, and the Queen can make you suffer."
I know as much, but what am I supposed to do? Bite my tongue and bow to an unfit ruler? We would already be dead if I did that. I'm going to stand my ground and defend my people, l always will. No matter what she thinks she can do to me. "You two catch up," I say, waving off Barron's protest. "I'm tired and this is getting me nowhere." I look pointedly at Father, "Goodnight to you both." I turn and walk out at that, tempted to slam the door behind me. But I don't, I close it slowly and walk down the hall to my room to pack. It's time to leave the capital.