Nightmares

Nagito slowly woke to the birds chirping heartily outside of the window nearest his bed. He blinked the sleep out of his cloudy grey eyes, a yawn escaping him as he turned, grasping the person occupying the right side of the bed. "Good morning," he said, his voice groggy.

"Morning," said the skeleton next to him, leaning into Nagito's arms. Nagito frowned. Something sounded wrong.

"How was your sleep, Sans?"

Sans stayed silent. The only sound in the room were the soft singing of the birds and Nagito's light breathing. He could almost feel himself settling back in, submitting to Hypnos, the God of sleep himself, but he needed to be here for Sans. Extra sleep could wait. "Sans..?"

Sans let out a soft sigh, shrugging his shoulder to cover the little bit of his face that Nagito could previously see. "Nagito," Sans started, a bit of fear emerging from his deep voice, "there's something I need to explain to you."
Nagito shifted, sitting up and leaning onto his forearm. His eyebrows furrowed worriedly, but he was ready to listen. "You can tell me anything, Sans. Go at your own pace."

Sans stayed put, but Nagito could see a bit of tension release from his shoulders. He laid a hand on the skeletons upper arm bone, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"I've always had these... nightmares."

Nagito waited for him to continue, but a wave of silence washed over the room again. "You don't have to tell me, but—"

"No, it's fine. It's just... difficult to explain." Sans reached up to his right upper arm bone, grabbing Nagito's warm hand with his own. "It always ends up the same. It starts with Frisk, acting strange. Then they..." Sans clears his throat. "They kill Paps. Then Undyne, until just about every single monster in the Underground is dead and gone, all turned to dust."

Sans' bones are shaking. Nagito's heart drops into his stomach as he lightly squeezes the skeleton's hand, the sunny, yellow morning light from the window illuminating their fingers and spreading warmth into them. Nagito's heart drops further when he remembers the nightmares he's had after the events of the killing game. Watching his friends die, feeling everyone's judging glances until he just couldn't take it anymore, unable to control his own attitude until...

He shook the thoughts out of his head. This is about Sans, the most loyal, caring, and intelligent man he knows, but... "I can't even begin to understand your pain," Nagito says as Sans turns to face him. "but I am here to listen, and if there's anything I can do, just know I'd do anything."

Sans smiles, which Nagito finds very charming, lifting his worries just a bit. "You being here to listen is enough," Sans says, and Nagito feels this is genuine. "But it maybe if there was some breakfast around here..."

Nagito smiles brightly, enough to make the sun run for its money, Sans thinks, and lets out a chuckle. "I'll be in the kitchen, love." He plants a quick kiss on the skeleton's head and pulls back the blankets, and Sans immediately misses the warmth from Nagito's hand.

"I'll ketchup with you in a minute," Sans says, earning another laugh from the man he loves most. He had to admit, making Nagito smile always did make him forget about his reoccurring nightmares, even if just for a minute or two.

Sans eventually sat up and rubbed his face, letting out a low groan. He honestly did feel a bit better about confiding in Nagito, but what if it bites him in the butt later...?

No, thought Sans. It's Nagito you're talking about.

He pushed himself to his feet and headed for the kitchen.