「04」

24.03.20

yesterday night, after they both calmed down, renjun told jeno everything. from when he was adopted till now. no words could explain how angry, upset and heartbroken jeno felt. if it wasn't for the laws, he would've been out to kill them. that night, jeno swore to protect renjun.

and it was the happiest day of renjun's life. the best birthday with the best birthday gift he could've ever gotten.

it was like those 13 years of being apart never existed.

"hey, junnie~ it's time to get up." jeno smiled at the smaller's sleeping face.

it was the most precious thing ever.

"what time is it?"
"it's 8am. we're running a little late for school."

that night, both jeno and renjun fell asleep at the hideout whilst talking.

"there are extra sets of uniform in the cardboard there and here's a new set of toothbrush."

renjun raised his eyebrows, "why would there be toothbrushes and a change of clothes here?"

"we stay over here pretty often." jeno chuckled.

the both of them quickly got ready for school and left the place.

———————————————————————————

"we're sorry for being late, mr nakamoto." the two apologised.

"seems like you two are close now." mr nakamoto smiled. "get to your seats."

they walked to their seats and settled down. "hey, what's going on with the two of you?" haechan eyed them suspiciously.

"nothing." renjun smiled.

"i don't take nothing as an answer. i demand an explanation. i really should've forced it out of the two of you yesterday." haechan hmpft.

the two looked at haechan and chuckled.

lessons went on like any other day, except, jeno and renjun were alot less tense with each other; in-fact, the two have been closer than ever and everyone noticed that.

break time finally came.

———————————————————————————

"explAin YouRselVes." haechan said as he sat down.
"what's going on, haechan?" mark asked
"you know how jeno didn't come home yesterday night? the two of them came to school together today!"

the other 4 of them turned to look at jeno and renjun questionably. "woah." jisung said.

they sighed, the two knew this was coming.

"ge, what's this~" chenle teased
"chenle, it's really nothing muc-"
haechan interrupted, "i don't know what y'all are saying but if you're saying 'It'S nOthIng' again, i swear."

"let's just say we cleared our misunderstandings and have gotten a lot closer." jeno said as he wrapped his hands around renjun's waist, hugging him.

the 5 of them gave us confused looks, "we were from the same orphanage." renjun chuckled.

"wow, what a reunion." mark replied.

"we were best friends and we're now closer than ever." jeno smiled, happily.

"so why were you two so tense yesterday?" haechan questioned.

the two froze up. after all, renjun didn't want them to find out about his miserable life. he didn't want them to judge him, to pity him, and worst of all, to abandon him as a friend because of how fucked up his life is. and jeno knew this very well.

mark noticed how uncomfortable the two were with that question. so he decided to end the conversation right there. "renjun! we're meeting later. would you like to come too?"

renjun smiled. it was the first time he was ever invited for anything. "sure."

"oh, what time are we meeting?"

"7pm at the hideout." chenle answered with his mouthful of food.

"chenle, eat slowly. no one's going to steal your food."

chenle gave him a nod and continued eating. "and...is it okay if i go there earlier?" renjun asked, nervously. he didn't want to go back. he hadn't seen mrs and mr kim in a day and really wanted to drag it out for as long as he could.

mark wrote something down on a small piece of paper and handed it to renjun, "yeah, of course we wouldn't mind. here's the address. do you know how to get there?"

"yeah. i do. thank you." he smiled

"i brought him there yesterday." jeno smiled, proudly.

"okay, jeno." haechan rolled his eyes, jokingly.

they continued talking and eating for the rest of the break. they didn't even realise that there was one person being extremely quiet. jaemin.

———————————————————————————

school went on as per usual for the rest of the day. once school ended, renjun headed to the library to get some books to read. he loved books ever since he was young but he hadn't read them in a long long time courtesy of mrs and mr kim. needless to say, his love for books were still there.

he borrowed a thriller, trilogy series book. unremembered, unforgotten and unchanged by jessica brody. (author's note: sorry for the sudden interruption, i know no one asked but i just wanted to say i really love this trilogy series💘)

as he checked out of the library with his books, he took out his phone to text jeno only to realise his phone was dead. he sighed, "it has finally worn out."

after all, it had been 10 years since he got the phone as a gift from the teachers at the orphanage, as a parting gift. it was a miracle the phone lasted for that long.

he immediately headed straight to the hideout.

the moment renjun opened the door, jeno came running towards renjun at full speed, hugging the elder tightly. "junnie!"

"j-jeno, i can't b-breathe." renjun was shocked at the blonde's actions.

"where did you go after school ended? i told you to meet me at the entrance but i couldn't find you! curse our class schedules.....we should've been in the same last period!"

how cute, "jeno, calm down. i'm sorry, i lost track of time in the library. i went to the library to borrow some books." renjun chuckled at how cute jeno was.

jeno frowned, "you could've texted me!"

"my phone...has died, rest in peace, 2010 - 2020." he sighed.

"don't scare me like this next time!"

"i won't, i won't~" renjun chuckled, promising the blonde.

"that's it. i'm getting you a phone."

"but-"

"no buts. i've made up my mind and that's final. i can't not be able to contact you. i'll get worried." jeno pouted.

renjun giggled, mentally facepalmed himself, "there was no stopping this boy."

the two spent the rest of their time together playing games, watching youtube mukbang videos and talking(flirting) while waiting for the others to arrive.

author's note: hey guys<3 remember to vote, comment and share this fanfic with your friends if you enjoy reading it💚tysm, it means alot!