shukkan funeral home

"death is up to fate.. shukkan funeral home, based in tokyo japan.. more than 79 years in business.." keiji's tender voice resonated throughout his almost empty shared living room. it was somewhere close to midnight and the poor guy didn't expect to spend his night with you and some drunk guy's phone and keys he left at your job "why does he even have this in his phone case?"

"right!" you were confused—beyond belief—when you found the phone and keys. you could only stare at the note from the phone case in your best friend's hand, which was also decorated with various stickers.

"honestly, i was thinking about going there. i mean, maybe he works there?"

"y/n, i'm absolutely not going to drive in the middle of the night to a funeral home. first of all, that's spooky as hell and second of all why would a uni student even work there"

"not even as an act of kindness?"

"no"

you sighed hopelessly as you had hoped your friend would pull through and drive you there with chance. besides, you, too, thought that a student working in a funeral home was odd but nonetheless not impossible. a lot of students work to afford to study in tokyo, so why not a funeral home? all you knew was that you just wanted to give that poor guy his phone and keys back, and maybe—hopefully—get to know him too.

all of a sudden, you hear footsteps slowly approaching you from your left. you had completely forgotten that keiji was sharing an apartment with three of his friends: kuroo, bokuto, and kenma. you didn't know them that well, but the few times you did hang out with them were nice and you grew to like them.

"hey! what are y'all doing up so late?!" you recognise that voice. bokuto. his hair, surprisingly, wasn't up as it usually was, which to you, was a surprise. "oh, hayashi! how are ya?" bokuto flashes you a huge smile and comes into the living room, wearing a plain t-shirt and shorts.

you smile "hi bokuto! i didn't think we were being so loud, i'm sorry."

meanwhile keiji wastes no time to answer bokuto's question with a devious expression "y/n was about to leave her workplace when this drunk guy came in and left his phone and keys, she's desperate trying to get back to him"

"get off my dick, keiji!" you lightly shove him, feeling your cheeks flush from embarrassment. they chuckle.

"what are y'all doing up so late?" another person comes into the living room—kuroo. he only came out of his room with shorts, not expecting to see you standing in the middle of his living room. your best friend wastes no time repeating what he said earlier with bokuto already cackling. kuroo was also now joining his friends, teasing you "got a crush, hayashi?"

"gosh why is everyone so noisy here! i'm just trying to give that man his phone and keys back" you hide your face in your hands.

the tall black haired male pats your back "we're just teasing you, come on!"

you groan. it was now a bit after 1 am and you were exhausted. not only was that shift of yours way too long, but you also stayed overtime just to keep the drunken issei company, which now you felt like was ridiculous. yes, he might have been handsome, maybe even charming and weirdly fascinating—still, if you had just called the police or even just a taxi to get him a safe ride home you wouldn't have had to debate between getting a good night's rest or bringing him his belongings back.

"what's his name?" bokuto asks, no longer being able to hold his tongue and absolutely intrigued by your story. he didn't know you that well so he was very keen on getting to know you, especially since you are, in his mind, probably one of keiji's only childhood friends—not to offend the messy black haired male, of course.

"issei matsukawa"

kuroo brightens "hold up, i know him! you should've started with that, hayashi" the tall guy takes out his phone and starts typing something. you and bokuto huddle up to kuroo, curious to see what's on his phone and how he knows the mysterious issei, meanwhile keiji just sleepily watches the three of you, now sitting on a chair in the kitchen that was attached to the living room.

"i'm pretty sure he played volleyball in highschool and was a middle blocker too in aoba johsai—didn't live around here though, but in miyagi." kuroo continued his ramble about his matches with aoba johsai in high school and the other pair also suddenly started remembering him. bokuto wails "right! they were so hard to defeat!" and keiji joins in from afar "their captain oikawa was an extremely strong setter. i wonder where he is now"

your eyes lit up. you didn't expect your friends, of all people, to know issei and learning all of this about him made him just more alluring for you, especially the volleyball part. does he still play volleyball? what is he like when he plays? does he major in anything that has to do with sports? does he even go to university? you halt your thoughts. why am i getting so carried away for a drunk guy who probably won't even remember all this?

your best friend grins at the sight of your concentrated face "what are you thinking about, y/n?"

you recognise that grin of his all at once and decide not to fight it "y'know what i'm not even gonna try to defend myself.. i am TIRED." you leave bokuto and kuroo to take your bag you had left on the kitchen counter.

keiji simultaneously gets up from his seat to take your coat he previously had hung in the closet when you first arrived at his'. he smiles as he gives you your clothing piece, but abruptly switches from a beaming to a shaken up face, as if he had remembered something life changing "don't you have a morning lecture tomorrow?"

bokuto gasps "a morning lecture? brutalll..."

you were putting on your shoes as the trio was talking, picking up your pace realising you will definitely fall asleep at said lecture if you don't leave here and now "i'm out of here, night!"

"what about matsukawa's—"

and just like that, you were running to get home as fast as possible in the dimly lit streets of tokyo, completely forgetting about your strange encounter with issei.