They will remember you

The snow falls delicately on the twisting branches in a still forest, as I... we, stand there, looking all around us at the blinding white of the ice.

"Hey, do you think that they will remember us?"

It sounded almost sad, as if she didn't want to go, didn't want to vanish into the cold and fade away. I couldn't blame her, I imagine it would be scary to go like that.

"or at least, in the way that I... that we want them to?"

A minute passes and I still don't have an answer, at least not one that she would like, so I settle down and wait for her to sit beside me.

Another couple minutes pass and she scoots closer and taps my hand, I grab it and squeeze to let her know that she is still here, not gone yet, in the way she fears.

I feel myself become colder and colder as I try to rack my brain for something, anything, to say.

I realize that maybe an answer to that question is not what is needed, maybe...

I turn to look at her, and her blank face with tear stains carved into her cheeks, and her bright red face. I hug her, and she hugs back.

I hear her sigh as she tightens her arms around me. We used to be one, so close and in sync, but people grow apart, and so we split. And now, for once in years, we... I feel right again.

"We don't have to worry about that right now." I say as I pat her hand and look to the light blue sky.

She pulls back and nods before we stand up and get ready to face our own coldness's. I feel her hand slip from mine slowly as I take step by wary step towards the path to green.

I turn back to see her gone, only two footprints where she stood, quickly being filled by the freshly fallen snow. Bitter sweetness washes over me.

"They will remember you."