Chapter 2

Phoenix

The sun was warm on my belly as I basked on a warm rock. The rays shone down with warmth from the spirit world. Ever since Leto had let us Spirits stay the spirits of other wolves had joined. Some had died long ago and some were new from those recent. It was our own slice of Heaven.

Blaze padded up to me tongue lolling to the side. I lazily lifted my head to greet him. His coat sparkled with stars as he shook out his coat.

The deer are plentiful here. He said laying down beside me. They always will be here. He nodded in agreement, closing his eyes.

This was what it was meant to be. After such a long life I didn't have to sleep without one eye open. I was safe and comfortable here...and yet? Something was missing. I couldn't put my finger on it...or rather my paw. Yes, it was perfect here but something was off about the perfect.

Phoenix. I heard the wind whisper. My ears twitched. Phoenix. The wind whispered again. I got up padding in no real direction. My paws lead me through the forest. Suddenly I felt a shift in the atmosphere. I could see a figure in the distance and I began to walk closer. There were no humans in our Heaven, none that I knew about at least.

Something about the human drew me further toward her. Did I know her? It felt like I knew her.

She gasped slightly and I knew she saw me but how. She reached her hand out and I was ready for her to touch my head.

"Phoenix." Was spoken from her lips before I heard a call in my world. Phoenix where'd you go? Blaze asked, searching my mind for some answer. Nowhere important. I replied back, turning to pad away. I gave one more look to this mysterious human before running off to meet Blaze.