Mad World

Big disclaimer: I do not own the original Starshine Legacy/Star Stable Online characters, obviously. Furthermore, I used to ride horses when I was younger but I don't really remember much of the terminology now, so if you see me "abusing" the horses (in a way which has nothing to do with the story), please, feel free to tell me. Same with the language, English is not my first language, so there might be a considerable number of mistakes. Again, if they're reocurring, feel free to tell me so that I can learn. Thank you! :) And also... I'm a huge softie, so there probably will be a happy end and a huge number of clichés, sorry about that. I'm also going through a massive Harry Potter phase (well, life-long addiction, sometimes it's more apparent though), so there might be some references... ;-) And lastly, this chapter is something of a rant. I do not really like the direction they took with Soul Riders, changing their original personalities. I didn't plan to publish this story in the very beginning, so all the complaining was meant for my own sake, however, I thought someone might find some liking in the story. I've never written any x reader fanfic before, so I'm sure it shows :-D. Right now, I do not plan on adding any kind of lemons in the story, so it should be appropriate for more age categories,... so, here we go. Sorry for taking so much of your time. Enjoy! :)

Y/N = your name
H/N = horse name
(the Jorvik Warmblood one)
____________________________________________________________
The thumping in your ears was getting louder with each passing second. Blood. Blood was boiling inside you, making its way in your crimson red face, sweat fogging your sight. The wind was mercilessly whipping your cheeks, along with the strands of mane of your horse, working up a huge amount of sweat below you. You felt your thighs burn as you clutched them tightly against the leather saddle, bruising them in process, that much you could tell. You blinked a few times and were able to make out the outline of a galloping horse in front of you. The horse was surrounded with pink aura, emerging right from its body. Pandoric energy.

Saving beings corrupted with Pandoric energy was your duty as the Soul Rider. Or A Soul Rider, to be more precise. You have never felt the famous bond among the sistership on your own. The four other girls did share a special connection, true, yet you have always felt like a third or rather fifth wheel, while doing all the hard work yourself. Linda always tried to assure you of your incomparable importance to the Keepers of Aideen, and at the beginning, you'd been convinced her words were true. Yet, as days turned into weeks, weeks becoming months, you have come to realize how little you seemingly meant to them. A weapon. A mean of achieving their goals. A way out of their problems. An equal? A friend? Not likely... You were the only one who Rhiannon constantly sent completing the druid missions, without any help or backup. As a matter of fact, you confronted Lisa once regarding that matter. She only told you the powers of other Soul Riders were no match to yours, thus making you the best candidate for the job. Nothing personal though. Sure.

As mighty as your powers were, you were neither invincible nor perfect. Sometimes, spymaster's agents remained captured. Sometimes the drakonium energy scorched your skin so much you had to retreat, facing the judging stares of Rhiannon. And this time, the desperate horse tainted with those pink creases covering its body was quickly getting out of your reach, making its rescue nearly impossible.

Exertion filling up every fibre of your body, you clutched the reins rigidly with one hand, reaching out to the horse with the other hand of hope to channel your healing properties straight into the frightened animal. You could taste the salty drops of sweat making their way through your parted lips. Pushing your horse to His/Her borders, you made one last attempt to establish a healing connection between you and the poor horse in front of you. It almost worked, you could feel the tickling in your mind, its pleading to relieve the horse of its pain. A faint smile tugged at the corners of your lips, hope reignited. Almost was not enough.