Chapter 13

Mountain road
Night

The Jeep speeds wildly down the road.

"The first place James will go is your house. He'll track your scent there" Cheryl tells her.

"What?! My dad's there. He's in trouble because of me, because of us!" Toni says horrified.

"Then we'll lead the tracker away from him. Somehow"

She angrily whips around a bend, mud flying.

Charlie's house
Living room
Night

Charlie watches a baseball game on the TV as the door suddenly bursts open to reveal Toni, crying, and Cheryl, devistated.

"I said, leave me alone!" Toni yells at Cheryl.

"Toni, don't do this. Just think about it, please"

"Get out! It's over"

She slams the door. Charlie has risen, baffled and concerned.

"Toni? What happened?"

"I have to get out of this place. Out of Riverdale. I'm leaving. Now"

Toni runs upstairs. Charlie hurries after her.

Toni slams her bedroom door behind her. Cheryl's already there, pulling things out of her drawers and shoving them into a duffle bag, faster than humanly possible. Toni leans against the door.

"I can't hurt him" she whispers.

Cheryl gives her a look, you have to. Then there's a knock, Charlie on the other side. It's agony for the both of them.

"Tones, did she hurt you?"

"No, dad"

"Then what? Did she break up with you?"

"I broke up with her"

"I thought you liked her?"

"That's why I have to leave. I don't want this. I want to go home"

"I'll be in the truck" Cheryl whispers.

She disappears out the window. Toni gathers strength to continue her performance. She turns around to open the door, revealing Charlie leaning against the door frame. He follows her as she carries her duffle bag and truck keys down the stairs.

"Your mother's not even in cali"

"She'll come home. I'll call her from the road"

"You can't drive home now. I'll take you to the airport in the morning"

"I want to drive. I need time to think. I'll pull into a hotel in a few hours, promise"

Toni reaches the ground floor with Charlie on her heels. She's almost to the door but Charlie blocks her.

"Tones, I know I'm not around much, but I can change that. We can do more things together"

Toni takes a deep breath, hating herself for what she's about to say..

"Like watch more baseball on the flat screen? Or go to the coffee shop? Same people, same steak, same berry cobbler every night? That's you dad, not me"

This hits Charlie hard. She can barely stand it.

"Toni... I finally got you back"

Which breaks Toni's heart.. and forces her to deliver the final blow.

"And if I don't get out now, I'm going to get stuck here like mom did"

Charlie is stunned, wounded. She takes advantage of his shock, pushing past him out the door. She heads towards her truck, fresh tears springing her eyes.

Angle on the woods

A pair of deadly eyes glow through the darkness. James. He watches from a distance as Toni pulls out. The truck moves off and so does James, leaving Charlie alone with his pain, staring out the window.

Toni's truck
Still night

Toni drives, wiping her tears away. Suddenly Cheryl is outside the truck, near Toni's window.

"He'll forgive you. Slide over"

Toni slides over to the passenger side as Cheryl opens the door, sliding in and taking the wheel. Toni slumps.

"His face... I said the same words my mother used when she left him"

"It was the only way he'd let you go. Your father's safe now, Toni. The tracker is following us.

Suddenly, BOOM!

A dark figure leaps onto the bed of the truck. Toni yelps.

"It's alright. It's just Archie. Josie and Betty are in the car behind us"

She catches her breath. It s Cheryl to see her so frightened. Toni looks out the window as they drive through town.

The Blossom household

Cheryl, Archie, Betty, and Josie rush Toni from the truck to the house, but freeze when the door opens and Laurent exits. They immediately take defensive positions, but dr. Blossom appears.

"He came to worn us about James" Clifford says.

They back down slightly. Laurent addresses Clifford.

"I've grown tired of his games, but he's got unparalleled sense's. Absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like him in three hundred years... And the woman, Victoria, will back him. Don't underestimate her"

Dr. Blossom nods thanks. Laurent looks at Cheryl, apologetic.

"I'm truly sorry for what's been unleashed here"

And with that, he disappears into the woods.

*******************************
Heyy!
Hope everyone's having a good day so far <3