Chapter 2: Arrival

When Florence arrived, Bright prepared herself and made herself look tattered, wearing "her deceased mother's dress". Which, really, was a fancy dress that Bright claimed to be her mother's.

"Florence! Hic*" Bright exclaimed, running towards Florence, who just walked through the doorway.

"Oh, Bright! You've suffered without me...Huh? Why are you crying?" Florence hugged Bright. Bright wiped away some fake tears and sniffed.

"I'm n-not crying! No! I'm not crying, Fl-Florence!" Bright exclaimed, knowing her plan was working.

"Bright, dear...you can tell me what's wrong...Did someone bully you..?" Florence's face crinkled in worry.

"N-no...really...It-it's just that..." Bright trailed off. She resisted the urge to laugh at Florence's concerned face.

"BRIGHT! Tell me right right now, Bright! You need to tell me, soI can help you!" Florence shook Bright's shoulders, vigorously.

"O-ok...Well...So-some of my sisters...th-they..! They..! They..." Bright looked away sadly. She wiped some fake tears for extra measure.

"Bright, my poor Bright, you can tell me! It's ok," Florence sighed.

"O-ok... Well, some of my sisters...they...they...th-they burned all of my jewelry that you and grand-uncle gave me...Th-that's not all..! They also...burned some of my dresses..! Hic* Wahhhhhh! Please help me, Florence..!" Bright wailed.

"RIIIINNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" a bell rung throughout the mansion, signaling everyone to go to the Main Hall.

(In main hall, when everyone gets there...)

"All line up to greet the Master!" a nanny shouted, and all of the sisters gathered from oldest to youngest. However, Florence overreacted.

"What is this?! Why is my poor Bright second-to-last!?" FLorence pointed a finger towards the nanny.

"Oh, stop overreacting, they're lined up by age, Lady Florence!" the nanny exclaimed impatiently.

"Ahem!! You will have a new first sister from today onwards!!" the Prime Minister called out. 

Many of the sisters whispered amongst themselves.

"What? A new sister? You've got to be kidding me..." "...Seriously! That means I 'm demoted to 2nd sister!" "...WHY..? Ugh..."

"QUIET!!" the nanny signalled for everyone to stop talking, "Greet your new sister, Feng Lian Yue!" 

"We greet Feng Lian Yue, my sister," they all chorused flatly.

Lian Yue greeted them in turn, "I, Feng Lian Yue, greets my sisters."

'Such monotone voices!' Florence thought.

"Now, now, Yue'er, no need to bend so low. After all, you are the 1st miss now," the head elder, their grandmother, patted Lian Yue on the back. 

"Umm...why is Bright kneeling?!!!?" Florence shouted out angrily.

"..?Bright? BRIGHT! This is capital offense in this house! You are NOT supposed to be kneeling! Get up right now!" their grandmother waved her can at Bright, who, cursing in her head, got up.

"B-but w-why..? Grandmother...why..? I'm s-supposed t-to kneel..." Bright acted pitiful.

"No matter, Bright! You know the rules very well, don't you?" she said, full of anger.

"Calm down, lady! She's young, so she doesn't know much! Stop pressuring her and she'll  get it eventually!" Florence shrugged it off.

"Florence, this tradition has been engraved in each of their minds from an early age. To top that off, Bright's done this 7 times officially!" 

"O-oh..." Florence hung her head in embarrassment.

"Grandmother, please don not blame Florence. She isn't expected know everything about our family's traditions and practices," Lian Yue tried to console her grandmother.

"Oh...Yue'er, you're so kind..." her grandmother praised.

Bright bit her nail and cursed her new sister within her head. 

'Ugh, that attention gaining wench!' Bright thought. Feng Lian Yue looked over her shoulder at Bright and gave a look that said loud and clear: I'm watching you...

<A few days later>

Laughter bubbled amongst a few sisters gossiping happily about cute boys and the newest fad. All the sisters were happy because ever since Lian Yue came, it's been much easier for them to relax and talk without Bright's consistent blackmail into acting for her.

"Hahaha! It's such a relief we aren't blackmailed as much with sister Lian Yue!"

"I know! It's so nice to be able to be our real selves for more than just during a quarter of our day! Don't you think so, Yuri?"

"Yeah!"

Suddenly, the prime minister signalled for attention and everyone snapped to attention.

"Attention! The annual Feng Family Talent Show will be hosted next week, and the emperor, empress down-wager, and 7 princes will come too. so prepare well," he announced. 

Whispers buzzed amongst the sisters about what to wear and what to perform. 

The prime minister continued, "Your eldest sister, Feng Lian Yue will be in charge of handing out dresses and accessories."

END OF CHAPTER 2