SARA WHO?

Sharmila Aunty's friends reminded me of those very annoying stereotypical ladies shown in all Hindi serials.

They have already formed an opinion about you and they are just here to collect the evidence that will cement their views about you.

Of course, not all of them were like that.

Mrs.Kashish Rana was a very sophisticated woman, a neighbour of Malhotras. Saniya aunty was another neighbor, she was somewhat in the middle. Not too bad , she was bearable, but she was here for the gossip. I can tell , because her first words to me after the introductions were made were

"So you're Ridhima Singhania's sister? I thought Varun was engaged to Karan's sister. "

I had blinked at her for a moment. Not sure how to answer her.

Why does it matter if Varun marries me or Ishika , right aunty?. The guy is going to be related to the Singhania's one way or the other.

I wish I could say that.

But it was Mrs. Lakshmi Rai, who will make me snap.

I greeted them when they arrived. And I was humbled that they all complimented me and brought gifts.

It thought it won't be that bad. Sharmila aunty was all praises for me, showing me off to her friends. And I basked in her praises. I loved how she didn't use the word daughter-in-law, she called me daughter everytime. Addressed me as one too.

Varun has retired to his room to catch up on work.

All of us women sat in the lawn with a beautiful view of green valley in the distance. The fog surrounded the greens in the mountain, the lukewarm sun, chilly weather and hot coffee were our companions.

Mrs. Rana was all praises for me, she also told me how she and her husband handle their textile business. She was a smart woman, and maybe in the later future, when I have paid all my debts to everyone, I will dream of becoming like her.

Lakshmi aunty was a business woman too, managing her event management company and hosting overseas destination weddings, a profession which is exciting and taxing at the same time. Imagine things not going as planned and boom you've ruined someone's special day. Saniya aunty, like Sharmila aunty was a house wife.

But the uncomfortable talk started when Sharmila aunty left to check on food, and Varun came out to tell me he is going to the market.

"Sarah, I am going to the market to get you your stuff." He said walking into the lawn, wearing a dark hoodie and washed jeans , something I have never seen on him. I had trouble keeping my eyes away from him. "text me the sizes" he said , and looked at me to see if I heard him. I just nodded and he left after greeting his mom's friends.

"Why did he call you Sarah?"

"I go by that name now." I told Saniya aunty simply.

"Oh! Right because of your father." I gave them a small nod, fiddling with the ring on my finger.

"So, you lived with him in prison all these years? " Lakshmi aunty remarked or asked, I have no idea. But her ignorant question made me pause, I wasn't sure I should laugh or cry or be furious.

Yes, aunty. The government gave us a cozy jail cell to live in, while my dad spent his time there for his crimes, my mother and I were chilling with him sipping martinis.
I wish I could say that, too.

"How dumb do you have to be to not know that only the criminals are punished not their family." Kashish aunty saved me from answering. I gave her a small smile, grateful that I didn't have to choose between being polite or putting her in here place.