Chapter 7

They get to St. Louis mid-morning on Friday for their graduation trip. It's too early to check in to their hotel and Jennie asks Jisoo what she'd like to do in the meantime. She instantly regrets it when Jisoo's immediate answer is an enthusiastic shopping.

Jennie takes her to the Galleria in Brentwood and watches her face light up when they enter through the Grand Concourse. She lets Jisoo drag her around all afternoon, carrying her bags for her and buying her a soft pretzel from Auntie Anne's to snack on.

When they decide they're both hungry enough for dinner, Jennie stuffs the bags around their luggage in the trunk and drives them to Union Station.

"Hard Rock Café?" Jisoo asks, eyes wide as they walk across the parking lot.

"Yeah... Is that okay?" Jennie frowns and looks over her shoulder. "There's other restaurants inside the Station. We don't have to go here."

"I've never been to one," Jisoo breathes, pulling Jennie toward the entrance with excitement.

"You're in for a treat, then," Jennie grins, holding the door open.

They browse the memorabilia while they wait for a table, Jisoo absorbing every word on every placard, and she insists on buying them matching t-shirts before they go sit down to eat. Jisoo orders an enormous salad and then ends up stealing half of Jennie's fries anyway when she's busy cutting her steak. But when she's about to order dessert, Jennie cuts her off and asks for the check instead.

"It's not just the offseason, Jennie. We've graduated," Jisoo folds her arms. "We're allowed to have dessert now," she pouts, trying to hide her disappointment.

"Oh, I know," Jennie says with a smirk.

"Then why did you ask for the check before I could order some?"

"You're allowed to have dessert." Jennie leans in and winks. "We're just not having it here."

"If this your way of trying to get laid, you've made a serious miscalculation," Jisoo says, still pouting.

Jennie just laughs. "Get your mind out of the gutter, Jisoo. I'm not talking about that kind of dessert."

The waiter returns before Jisoo can interrogate her any further. Jennie pays and then slides out of the booth, offering her hand to Jisoo.

"If you want your dessert, you're gonna have to quit sulking and come with me."

Jisoo takes her hand begrudgingly and lets Jennie lead her out of the restaurant and across the parking lot.

"Did you know that the St. Louis Union Station used to be the busiest train station in the world?"

"No?" Jisoo raises a skeptical eyebrow.

"Mhm. Being the Gateway to the West, at one time it combined the passenger services of twenty-two different railroads. That was the most of any single terminal in the world."

"I thought I was supposed to be the one that was gonna work in a museum." Jisoo looks up at Jennie, squeezing her hand.

"Sorry," Jennie says a bit sheepishly. "I used to love coming here when I was a kid. Part of it is still sectioned off with one of the old steam train engines."

"That's all well and good," Jisoo says, "but I still don't know what that has to do with my dessert."

Jennie looks up at the sky and laughs, throwing her arm around Jisoo's shoulder and pulling her close.