The Wellerman

The wellerman

The song is of the ghosts who haunt the whaling ship, hunting moby dick for their eternity. The wellerman is should have packed more food, as they never stopped for tea and rum. They sound have brought a singer, as now only the wellerman can call out to boost morale. The crew still sing, their greed and pride dooming them to hunt the whale forever. Some pass on, giving up on the whale in order to live a peaceful afterlife. Those who pass on still can't leave the crew, being their only company for centuries. Somewhere in the woods by the bay, they have their own mini village where they wait to hear the wellerman call out a final time. There comes a time however, where only the captain and the wellerman are left. The wellerman can't rest till they all do, and the captain is to stubborn with his pride and guilt of cursing his men to give up the chase now. The whale swims on, constantly making the ship struggle. This creature is not of our sea, which the fishermen learnt to late. Still, even the whale knows when to much time has passed, when it needs to rest. The captain sees the whale slow, yelling to the wellerman that their deaths went for nothing. The spear strikes the whale. The wellerman and captain just smile as they disappear from each other's view. Hopefully the next life won't be wasted. They open their eyes, only to find themselves walking a woodland trail. The last thing they see before crying with relief is their fellow crew, rushing to greet the pair.

Take note I was sleep deprived and had gone through my house looking for "pirate-y stuff" while listening to sea shanties. Self projecting, me? Never...