Chapter 1

^Vale Hall Transfers^
~Jordan~
As I sat it the headmaster's office for the last time while my father worked his negotiation magic, I kept glancing at Jacky who was talking to Camila. The only reason I'm at this stupid school is because my father needed intel on one of his clients so as his best worker, I volunteered to get it and the only way to do that was to get close with his daughter who goes here after a stunt she pulled at school and ironically that's the reason I'm getting out. I stared at the portrait of a man in a suit looking very serious. I remember the portrait from the last time I was here. "Do you think they'll expel us?" Kris asks. She took part in the reason me and Jacky are even able to get out of this hellhole. "Probably but wouldn't be the first time." I say in response, half my brain focused on Brian. He was my boyfriend before I got sent here. He and I kind of have this on and off relationship but before I left, I made up with him. I think we are on good terms but I won't know until I go to see him after I'm out of this place. I tugged at the hem of my uniform red and black plaid skirt as I thought of his face. His sharp jawline that could cut glass. His hazel eyes with golden flecks that danced across his eyes when he laughed. His smile that could blind any girl. His charm that could win anyone over. Everything about him is perfect. I bit my lip to keep from smiling like an idiot like I always do when I think about him. My father comes out of the office with a smile on his face that lets me know all was good. "Jacky, Jordan, let's go." He said and nodded toward the door and we got up and made our way out the front door.

We stepped out into the sun and made our way to the gate. We waited for that buzz I'd been waiting to hear since I got here as the gate slowly opened. My father's limo waiting on the curb, I glanced at Jacky who as just as exited as I was. I smiled at the familiar driver holding the door open as we both climbed into the car. My father climbed in last and the driver closed the door. He made his way around to the other side of the car and sat in the driver seat and buckled. "The manor?" He asked and my father nodded. The driver eased his way past the other cars parked on the side of the curb, which I assume belong to my friend's parents, and made his way out of the parking lot and down the paved road and onto the street. I stared out the window as the trees past by for the next hour until we pulled onto the pathway leading it a circular driveway. We pull around to the front where the maid and the butler are waiting. I wait patiently for the driver to com around to our side of the vehicle and open the door. I step out with Jacky in tow and smile at Amanda, our lead maid, and Henri, our butler and lead staff member. I embrace Amanda and she gives me a sweet smile. She repeats this with Jacky. "Welcome Home." She says. "Feels good to be back." I say and stare up at the manor. My home. I turn around and hug Henri as the driver pulls our bags from the trunk. He hikes them up the stairs and leaves them for Amanda and Henri to take to our rooms. The driver walks back over to my father as my father whispers something in his ear. He nods and my father turns to us. "I wish I could stay with you girls but I have an important business meeting with a client." He says. Translation: someone owns him money and hasn't payed him back yet so he's going to "handle" it.

I plopped down on my bed for the first time in thirteen months. I stared at the ceiling for what felt like an hour before rising and walking over to my backpack and unzipping the largest pocket. I started removing different things I took with me when I transferred and pulled out a glass paper weight shaped like a diamond that my mother got for me and my sister for our fourth birthday. Our last birthday with her. She got us matching ones. Jacky's is a deep blue like the ocean because she's always loved the beach. Mine is clear because I was never an extravagant person. I liked things simple. Always have. Still do. I've never been able to get rid of anything she got me. Neither has Jacky. If you go in her room, you'll find different things my mom got her such as the antique jewelry box that belonged to our grandmother, a vignal record player with some different records ranging from 80s punk rock to 2000s indie pop. She uses it all the time. I however keep everything that mom ever gave me in a box at the top of my closet buried behind some random junk. Jacky says I'm emotionally detached and have been ever since mom's death. She says whenever the topic of mom comes up I always say a few words then change the subject. She doesn't pry though. That's probably why for the longest I didn't think she noticed. I walk over to my nightstand and open the drawer and pull out my phone. The phone I wasn't allowed to bring to Vale Hall because phones were banned. I hold the home button as it lights up with a white screen with a black apple in the middle. After a few seconds, my lock screen pops us with a photo of me and Brian on a lunch date a few months before I left. I type in my password and my home screen opens. I tap the messenger app and scroll to Brians contact.