Chapter 9

Gauri was in the kitchen, trying to find some snacks that a small kid would like. Kamala entered the kitchen, texting on her phone but looked up to see Gauri pale.

Kamala: dad is doing my boxes and you only had one box....why do you look like you have seen a ghost?

Gauri: hmmm?

Kamala: did you even hear what I said?

Gauri: what did you say?

Kamala slapped her forehead lightly then spoke again: I basically just asked you why you look like you have seen a ghost?

Gauri: I don't look like I have seen a ghost.

Kamala: yeah you do. You look so pale. Oh god! Do you feel sick or are you not getting enough blood flow?

Gauri: oh hello Miss future doctorji, I am not your patient, I don't feel sick, I am pretty sure my blood flow is okay and I am completely fine.

She found some sweets and kept it in a small bowl then left the kitchen, leaving Kamala.

Kamala: sweets are bad for your teeth.

Gauri: don't care!

Kamala rolled her eyes as Gauri continued to walk, she went upstairs and when she reached her room, she sighed in relief that the door was still closed. She opened the door and then closed it, turning to her bed where Pari was sitting cross-legged.

Gauri: here are some sweets. Do you want some water?

Pari: I already took some from your water bottle. It was full so I thought to have some.

Gauri: okay, now have some sweets.

Pari: yeh kya hai?

Gauri: this is candy corn, try it, it's really nice.

Pari: promise?

Gauri: haan baba, promise.

Pari took one piece of candy corn and had a one tiny little bite. Once she took a bite, she smiled and ate the rest of that candy corn then started to have some more.

Gauri: arre don't have too much, sweets aren't that good for your health. I just thought to give a little treat.

Pari: I am really hungry. Last night I didn't have anything and this morning even. Yaar I have been running all day.

Gauri: really? Why? Did you do anything naughty?

Pari: nahi, I didn't do anything naughty sacchi. That Devika wanted to send me into some American family who would take me to America and make me a servant.

Gauri: servant?

Pari: haan servant.

Gauri: but an orphanage is supposed to look after you and put you in nice families.

Pari: nahi, that is a lie. Families don't want orphans to love, they want orphans to serve them. They think orphans aren't worth love.

Gauri: well then they are wrong, all children deserve love.

Pari: according to the world, only privileged children deserve love.

Gauri: privileged children?

Pari: when children have two parents, a mum and dad. When children have parents who actually want them and they don't abandon them. When children are loved. When children are given nice food in life. When they don't have to wear hand-me-downs. When they have someone to protect them from the cruel truths of the world....those children are privileged children.