24 Hour Bucket List

What is our story? We get asked this question a lot, well, all cancer kids do. We all were diagnosed around roughly the same time. Avery Greer is fearless; she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and doesn't let the rarity of it happening to her so young scare her. Asher Moss is a different story. He was diagnosed with Leukemia and stands on the edge of either overcoming his disease or letting it consume him. I, Maria Foster, was also diagnosed with leukemia.

We shaved our heads together before the chemo treatments gave us no choice. The dust of freckles on my cheeks suddenly intensified without my long curls to conceal them. We wore cancer caps for a few months, and even considered purchasing wigs, frightened by the idea of society's judgment. That changed when Avery ripped hers off in public and shouted to the world, "You will not defeat me!" We joined her, and vowed never to wear them again. To embrace who we are, and to never let cancer shape our lives again. We haven't had any frightening health problems in a while, only mandatory doctor visits. We met in one of those boring support groups parents make cancer kids go to, but I don't regret it because I found my family there.

On a regular Tuesday morning, Avery proposes the most marvelous idea that would soon become the best journey of our lives. "We only live once, and who knows how long we have? Let's make a bucket list." Asher and I agree heartily to this idea. She leans forward as if she's mentally asking: If you could pick one thing in the whole world to do before you die, what would it be?

"I've always wanted to kiss a stranger," I say bashfully.

"I want to do something illegal," Avery declares deviously out of the kindness of her rebellious heart. She smiles, it's her best feature. A flash of her smile stops anyone in their tracks.

"What about you Asher?" I ask. His face contorts as he contemplates his answer.

"Well, I haven't really thought about that."

"Come on, there has to be something you've always wanted to do before you die!" Avery prods.

"I want to save a life," he decides. His tall frame, 6'4 to be exact, enhances his intense personality. He's always thought more of others rather than himself. He dreams of being a doctor one day, and working with cancer patients like himself.

Our bucket list is determined, and we want to check off the list by midnight. My parents are out of town, and my cousin is babysitting me. Apparently, leaving a cancer kid alone is some kind of crime in my parent's head, no matter how old they are. Avery and Asher's parents know they are spending the day at my house. However, we won't mention this little trip. Neither of us has visited the city since we were diagnosed. "It's too dangerous," our parents would say. Everything is hazardous in their eyes. New York City is just a two hour drive from the area we live in, so we decide to plunge into the noise and glamour of the big city to conquer the odds of our expedition.

It takes quite a bit of convincing and bribery for my cousin to agree for us to go. She finally says yes because her kind little heart pities us. We all received our driver's license over the period of the past year, but Asher offers to drive. "Road trip!" Asher pumps his fists into the air before jumping into the front seat of his SUV. He is wearing his signature black leather jacket; it matches his sharp features perfectly. Avery and I race for shotgun, and I win. We play the latest pop music, and sing the whole way there.

"This is already the best day of my life!" I yell over the blasting music.

"Agreed," Avery shouts back, "Compliments of muah," She indicates to herself, and falls back into her seat in a fit of laughter.

"What's so funny?" Asher smirks.

"I'm just so happy," she replies.

It's a good day, and one I'm sure I'll certainly never forget. Exhilaration finds its way throughout me. "I am too, Avery, I am too." I say. We relish the ride until we are finally destined in New York City. Asher finds a safe place to park his car so we can walk through the city. The city is busy, and walking is much faster than driving in a place like this. I take in the beautiful soaring buildings, and smile; it is the perfect day for this. I close my eyes and breathe in the warm air around me, I feel free.