Money Dreams

As I sit in front of my old Acer computer at my day job that is considered an "essential business", one of the guys is talking about the things he has found in poop lately. That's right, I work at a plumbing company. I find myself daydreaming of all the ways I could make more money. Money for a home, so that I can get out of the apartment that has shower water so hot it could scald your skin off entirely. Or for the moving costs my fiancé and I will run upon once we finally get out of this crazy city. Most of all, for the equipment we were not blessed with ourselves. We're a lesbian couple, so in order to have a family... well, we need the salt and pepper for the eggs.

I contemplate the many things I could do. Barista in the evenings? Walk dogs on my break? Then it hits me. I have an English degree. I can tutor someone! And it is the perfect time, because it would be totally virtual. I wouldn't even have to leave my apartment, even though I'd much rather do that at this point. Stir crazy has a new meaning as of late.

I go to the first employment website I can think of. One for a child that is from Russia. She needs someone to start from the basics. Too easy. I want something a bit more complex. I scroll and scroll. Nothing is standing out to me.

"Man looking for tutor. Knowledge of English is very sparse."

At first I find it strange that this is written with such elaborate words. I press apply.

Days later...

I am logging on for my first zoom tutor session. I received a few mysterious emails from him, or whoever wrote them. They were all very elaborately written. Something feels strange, but it's good money and easy.

I sit for only a few minutes and suddenly a face forms onto the screen. The man looks to be in his later years, maybe 70.

"Before you speak young lady, I have to be quite honest with you," he says.

"What is you want sir?" I ask curtly.

"Simply, I have been searching for someone to give some of my inheritance to. I know I will not be on this planet for much longer and I have no living family to hand it off to. I was once an English professor, before I grew older. I remember the days of being penny-less and struggling to pay for anything other than my student loans." He sighs. "Anyways, I wanted to grant someone this gift. You my darling wrote the most inspiring response to my ad. I know you must have thought it strange to have been asked what you would do with a million dollars. Well, young lady, I will be gifting you just that. Times ten."

Miracle? Or have I inhaled too much paper dust once again?