The Start - Reo

Reo saw herself in a third-person view, a light blue thread connected to a bronze key dancing its way across her neck as she flew across the room, holding a black staff. The vision flitted and disappeared, hanging to her current spot, where her eyes hung low to the ground in the simple green t-shirt and jeans she wore everyday, watching her feet move across the empty pavement. The 16 year old was bored of her current lifestyle, of which was just as simple as her clothes; She woke up, walked to school, bored her eyes out there, walked back, and got yelled at by her parents before going to bed. Everyday the same thing happened.

She had dreams of a bigger future when she was older, but it was highly unlikely she would be able to follow her intentions of starting a circus of which she could truly be herself by singing, messing around, and watching children's faces light up as they saw the animals and the people move around. It had been what she wanted to do since she was very little.

A small snort escaped her lips just thinking about it.

'As if my parents would even allow it...' she thought to herself. After her attempted suicide 6 months ago, her parents constantly loomed over her. Hell, they didn't even let her use sharp objects anymore; her food was cut for her, she wasn't allowed to shave, and even small things such as children's scissors or pins weren't allowed anywhere near her room. Surprising, really, since it wasn't even a sharp object she'd used to attempt.

Aside from that, she admitted her life was pretty good. True, her parents got overwhelming sometimes, but they truly did love and care about her. She also had a pretty decent friend group. Reo knew they'd always be there for her.

She did question, though, why they seemed to always be whispering about something when she wasn't looking. It was curious. She assumed it wasn't about her, since they'd known her for years, but considering they always said, "Oh, it's nothing, don't worry Reo!" When she asked, it was starting to become fairly suspicious.

An odd feeling hugged her stomach as she finally reached her destination at school. Her usual group of friends was talking to some girls who'd always made fun of Reo for liking dancing, acting, singing, and otherwise very creative things. She heard them say things like, "Circus Freak," "Weeb," "Disgusting Theatre Kid," and some crueler things.

Her world felt as if it tilted. So soon after making friends and settling in too... they'd only been using her like everyone else...

She deflatedly cleared the thought away. Reo's black-booted feet scuffed against the pavement loudly now, letting her so-called "friends" know she'd arrived. The sheer terror that appeared on their faces was almost enough to make her smile... Almost. They tried to stutter through an apology, but an amused Reo just grinned, shook her head, and continued walking.

The day blurred by, and she felt exhausted. Reo wouldn't quite call herself an introvert, as she liked children a lot, but adults and teenagers irritated her with their phony apologies and their backstabbing antics. She couldn't understand why everybody couldn't just be as simple as a child. Life was better before people turned 13.

Yet again, she had to snap herself out of her own little space in her head so she could think properly and get home without getting run over. Out of the corner of her eye, a red-haired girl dashed down the street, nearly getting hit in the process. Reo's head drifted back down before it snapped back up, her eyebrows creasing in confusion.

"Hey, you alright?" She yelled down the crosswalk, gaining a charming grin from the girl. If Reo wasn't already preoccupied with her own thoughts, the girl across the street might've gained a blush from an easily-flustered Reo. Instead, she face palmed and rushed across the street.

The girl instantly flirted with her.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing, rushing across the street?"