If You Choose the Darkness

"Ahjussi, this is Detective Lee. Detective, this is my ... Ahjussi, Cha Tae-sik," So-Mi introduced the two men. "Detective Lee is based at the Jongno district station. He is the one who introduced me to the people responsible for this."

So-Mi was dressed simply in a knee length black dress clinched with a slim white belt by the waist.

Her hair, left as the long glorious straight mane that it was, and face with a touch of light lipstick and nothing else

A picture of sweet perfection, in Lee's mind.

And his eyes showed it.

Well enough for Tae-sik to notice.

"Good evening, sir," the detective bowed in respect.

Lee was not expecting So-Mi to bring a chaperone.

But what a chaperone he was, Lee thought.

Lean in size and handsome in features; with a simmer of a certain something that Lee could not pin point.

Despite the astute detective that he was.

"Aaahh ... my hero," a voice interrupted Lee's thoughts. "Or heroine rather. So-Mi, you have arrived."

Senator Song, beautiful,  up and coming politician and an aggressive human rights activist, waltzed in.

So-Mi has met her twice, over coffee.

The first as an introduction by Lee and the second to discuss the exhibition.

The Senator smiled wide in greeting.

And her eyes automatically fell on Tae-sik.

"Your acquaintance, Detective Lee?"

Her wide eyed interest was met with Lee's amused smile.

"No. So-Mi's actually."

"So-Mi's?" she looked towards the girl. "And he is your...."

"Uncle," Tae-sik said for the first time that evening.

His voice deep and strong, enough to make the sophisticated Senator smile in delight.

And So-Mi frowned for the second time that day.

Uncle? I suppose, she thought. But in this context, it sounded odd to her ears.

Or perhaps, not as appealing.

"So-Mi's uncle, nice to meet you," she purred, extending her hand towards him.

"Excuse me, Senator, you are needed across the room, with your guest of honour," Song's aide bowed towards So-Mi.

The guest of honour in the meantime discreetly planted herself between Song and her Ahjussi.

And was happy to note that the Senator's extended ring adorned hand was left unrequited.