by the river.

it was a sunny spring day, and the sun shone to what seemed to be brighter than usual. 

young bokuto koutarou, age 13, walked along the riverside, not focusing on anything else but his own foot steps. he did that a lot. this was his pass-time. his parents were quite loud, as they were always fighting. 

to escape them, he would go to the river, and go to his safe spot, otherwise a couple bent over trees, covered by a tarp, and some warm cloth. surprisingly, it was pretty big, and koutarou had it all set up. he liked it there, as he didn't have any real friends. he felt at peace, and at his real home. 

as young kotarou made his was down the riverside, he came across some large rocks, and a boy, who seemed about his age, sitting atop them. 

the boy peered down at koutarou from the rocks, with a monotone, but somewhat confused face. yet, he avoided eye contact with koutarou.

"uh.. oh! h-hi there!" koutarou spoke, making the first impression, "whatcha doin' up there?" he asked

"oh, uhm, hello there." the boy responded, still avoiding eye contact, "i'm, just looking at the fish is all, nothing in particular." 

"wait where are the fish!?!" koutarou swung over to face the river and looked as hard as he could, finding no trace of fish. 

"i believe, they got scared and swam away.. thanks." he muttered, the last part annoyed.

"so, uh, what's your name??" the overly-energetic male exclaimed, "my name is bokuto koutarou, but my guess is that you've already heard of the mighty bokuto, so there's no need for me to explain how awesome i am." he boasted, answering his own question

"how'll my name do you any good? i doubt we'll see each other again." the boy with the curly raven locks questioned. 

"well, i don't know! but maybe we'll see each other, maybe here again??" the owl testified "please, pretty please" 

after 5 minutes of their meeting, the first time the boy had to of looked in koutarou's eyes, had to of been the worst possible time. those big, puffy, squishy, adorable, golden hues, the boy was immediately drawn in, hooked, but unaware. 

being pulled by an unexplained force to answer his question he spoke low, and shy, "akaashi, akaashi keiji. are you happy now?? we'll probably never meet again, so it won't do you much, now i'm trying to have a moment of silence thanks."

his voice was now strained, and raspy, as if he was almost holding back tears. koutarou could see the shakiness in his tone, the slight biting on his lip, the tears forming in his eyes, everything. he, saw, everything, even if he didn't want to. 

"h-hey, are you alright?" koutarou asked, concerned as he thought he did something wrong.

he began to climb up the rocks, but slipping in the process and scraping his knee. he quickly huried to where keiji was sitting. 

"i'm fine." keiji sobbed, clearly not okay.

"no, you aren't okay, you're sobbing your eyes out, how am i supposed to just leave?" the concerned male insisted, "what happened? was it something i did? did i say something wrong?" 

keiji hesitated, "no.. i-it wasn't you, you didn't say anything." he hesitated again "my cat. she, she was run over by a car earlier, she was the only one who would listen to me, my only friend." he cried harder

koutarou went and sat near the boy, looking down at the river. he spoke "y'know.. you, you could be my friend?" koutarou glanced at the crying mess, "i don't have any, and you don't either so, maybe we could work it out?"