it all starts somewhere

1963
Simmon's Television Shop

        Rain tapped against the roof as he sat at the desk of his shop. It was afterhours, but he was too busy working on his latest idea to go home and sleep. He had no one to go home to, anyways; no wife, no children, no pets. So, in his shop he stayed working afterhours every night, coming in on the weekends, selling his own handmade televisions. Big, boxy things, they were. The picture was very clear for someone of this day and age, even if the image wasn't in colour, not to mention a bit fuzzy. He was listening to the news on one of them nearest to him while he wrote out the notes for improvements of sales.

        "And that brings us to the end of programming for today." The woman in black and white finished her report for the day as he shut off the television. He sighed, ripping out the page he was writing on and crumpled it up. Another bloody mistake. He's been working so long without sleep; he was starting to blur thoughts and ideas into one big mess. He needed a miracle to work his ideas anyway.

        'Perhaps some sleep will do me some good,' he thought as he drifted off on his desk listening to the pitter patter of the rain in the night.

        Before he could get too much sleep, though, his TV, the one he just switched off, came back on and the woman was there in black in white, watching him through the wires.

         "Can you hear me, dear? Of course, you can. Now, sitting comfortably? Good, good. Just making sure." Her voice was abrupt in the silent room and it startled the young man from his slumber.

        "What-?" He was cut off as soon as he spoke, for he then had a splitting headache.

        Pain. Unbearable pain. Bright flashing lights. The colours, the noise, it won't stop. Violent waves of static piercing into his brain. He was sure he screamed.

        Then he was out like a light, laying on his desk once more.

        "Oh, dear what a sad ending that was. Tee hee! It was actually quite pathetic. You see, I'm only just beginning..." Her laughter pierced the dark silence, until it faded out completely.