When Things Got Loud, One Of Us Running Out Pt. 2

"In here."

Julie ushered Reggie's family inside, nervous for the obvious confrontation to come.

"Julie!" Reggie said, leaping off the couch. "You're back-"

Reggie was cut off suddenly when he caught sight of his parents, staring around the studio. When his eyes landed on Ariana, they started to tear up.

While Reggie's family was distracted, Julie ran over to him, unsure of how he would react. Reggie looked down at her, his eyes glossy.

"Julie..."

"I'm sorry," Julie whispered as Reggie's family walked around the studio. "I wanted to cheer you up." Reggie's eyes were still on Ariana.

"I..."

"Wow, this place sure has changed," Reggie's mom said, looking around. Julie looked at her in surprise.

"You've been here before?"

"Of course we have," Reggie's dad said, running his hand on the piano. "We dropped Reggie off here for practice all the time."

"I don't think I was ever here," Ariana said. "I was only two when Reggie..." she trailed off, and I nodded with a small smile.

Julie watched as Reggie walked towards Ariana, who was looking at a picture on the wall. He reached out to touch her shoulder, and let out a small whine that broke Julie's heart when it went completely through her. Ariana grabbed a picture frame off the wall and spun around, unknowingly walking right through her brother.

"Is this you?"

Julie looked at the picture and smiled. It was a picture of her standing on the piano bench as a toddler, chubby fingers pressed down on the keys. Her mother sat on the bench behind her, her mouth frozen in a silent laugh.

"Yeah," Julie said. "That's me and my mom."

Ariana grinned and put the picture back. Reggie watched her the whole time.

"Julie," he said quietly, tearing his eyes off his sister to look at the girl in question. "Julie, I want to talk to them."

"Are you sure?" Julie whispered. Reggie nodded.

"Yeah," he replied, grabbing his bass and throwing the strap over his shoulder.

"So, you said there was something you wanted to show us?"

Julie looked over to see Reggie's mom looking at me expectantly. She bit her lip and walked over to the piano, sitting on the bench.

"Yeah," Julie said, as Reggie's family walked over to her. Reggie stood next to the piano, guitar in hand.

"I know Reggie's band spent a lot of time in here," Julie started, not quite knowing where she was going with this. "I spend a lot of time in here, too. It's an amazing place, and sometimes..." she took a deep breath.

"Well, sometimes I can feel Reggie around me." 

Ariana and Reggie's parents looked at her quizzically. Julie sighed, brushed her fingers over the piano keys, and started playing a slow, soft melody.

Julis looked over at Reggie, who looked like he was frozen. His eyes met hers, and she gave him a reassuring nod. Reggie smiled and took in a deep breath before playing the first note.

His family stumbled back in shock when they saw him. He was looking at them with tears in his eyes and a smile on his face, playing along to the melody of the piano. While Reggie's parents stood there in shock, Ariana took a small step forward.