Chapter One

Blazekit wriggled his haunches and pounced. "Ha! Got you now!" he hissed to the leaf.

His mother, Amberfall, chuckled. "You certainly do."

Blazekit grinned up at her. "Can I have a badger ride?"

Amberfall laughed. "Of course!"

Blazekit climbed onto his mother, and felt the brush of two tiny pelts beside him. He turned to see his littermates, Archkit, Finchkit and Swankit.

"Go, badger, go!" Finchkit laughed.

Amberfall smiled and lumbered around the nursery, glancing happy back at her kits every now and then.

Swankit giggled as she jumped down on the nursery's soft floor. "Callabunga!" Blazekit yowled, landing squarely on his sister's back.

"Hey!" she grumbled, pushing him off. Archkit snickered.

Finchkit jumped on top of Swankit, laughing. "You can't escape the great Finchstar!"

"That's what you think!" Swankit shouted, barreling into him and tussling around.

Blazekit grinned. "I'll help you, Finchstar!" He swatted his sister and leaped in front of his brother whenever Swankit tried to deliver a blow. Archkit licked his paws, looking bored.

"Come on, Archkit! Join in!" Blazekit called.

Archkit sighed. "Fine." He leaped and joined in the tussle.

Swankit grinned. "Let's defeat FinchClan!"

"Never!" Finchkit yowled. "SwanClan is going down!"

"Yeah, right!" Archkit snorted, batting his tiny paws at him.

Suddenly there was a rustle by the nursery. A brown tabby warrior glared at the four kits. "Filth," he muttered under his breath as he put some fresh-kill in the middle of the nursery.

Blazekit tilted his head. Had the warrior been talking about him and his siblings?

Blazekit scurried up to Amberfall. "What's he talking about?"

Amberfall looked away. "Nothing."